One cat responds to his name, one doesn't. Now what?

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a second kitten well over a month ago. Has it even been 2 months? Anyway, the little guy still won't respond to his name, like won't even turn his head when I call his name. He is probably about 6 to 7 months old now.

My other one is between 7 and 8 months old. He does respond to his name. When I call him, he will stop what he is doing and look right at me.

I didn't do anything special to train him, he just started realizing his name and that was that. With all the other cats I've had, I don't remember how it happened, I think it just did.

So, how can I get the little guy to realize his name and know I'm calling him? His name is Frankie, by the way.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of them never answer to their name, I think they have selective hearing.

Mine do know their names, and will look up to just their own names, but a good 50% of the time they ignore me anyway.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My theory is that they react to the way you say their names. If I call each of my cats in the same tone, I bet they'll think I'm just singing or talking to myself.

Try calling Frankie in a certain unique way only he can recognize.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Some of them never answer to their name, I think they have selective hearing.
The same could be said about most guys...

Always use Frankie's name when talking to him. Look at him when you say it, pet him, etc. Make sure he definitely knows you're talking to him. He may not ever really come to his name, but he may eventually at least show a response. Kittens are also stubborn, too.

My theory is just that some cats are a bit smarter than others, and that some kittens learn things like that a lot quicker because of it. (my girl kittens learned their names before their brother - he's cute and goofy, but not the brightest boy)

I've noticed that with my kittens none of them really showed signs of knowing/responding to their names until around 6-7 months, before that any nice tone towards them would get a response. Now I can say their names and get the right kitten to respond to it, and if said kitten is doing something bad - to stop when the name is used in a reprimand (such as "Tanna, leave Siri alone!" - she likes to antagonize the adult female that doesn't like other cats very much
).

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what has already been posted, but it did occur to me that perhaps Frankie is not his name. You might try other sounds and see if something else appeals to him more.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine do actually respond more to their nicknames, Quincy for example, we call Bear Bear when he is behaving himself, so he generally comes to it, when he is being playful but not overly bad, I call him Trouble and while his ears perk up, he plain chooses to ignore me. But Quincy, which is usually only said in a sharp voice because he is doing something he knows he isnt supposed to (usually terrorising Autumn) stops him in his tracks but he doesnt come to it - he runs in the opposite direction

Autumn comes more to Princess than Autumn, although we use the two with the same tone

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking - your second cat can hear for sure? Deaf cats have a way of often mimicking other cats so they appear to be hearing.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Find some seriously wonderful food treats - dried shrimp, small pieces of chicken - whatever Frankie just loves. A slightly hungry Frankie will be more motivated.

Say his name and give him a treat - over and over and over. Make sure he associates his name with only good things. You can also call his name to invite him to a play session - use his favorite toys for this.

I will actually gather my pets together (dogs and cats), have them sitting and I will say their name before giving a treat.

Avoid using his name is he is being corrected for anything.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It may never happen. I have six cats and only 1-1/2 of them ever respond to their names. Uh . . . that is, one responds to his call name (not his registered name) most of the time, and another answers to her name about half the time. The others just ignore me.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat Traufield

Find some seriously wonderful food treats - dried shrimp, small pieces of chicken - whatever Frankie just loves. A slightly hungry Frankie will be more motivated.

Say his name and give him a treat - over and over and over. Make sure he associates his name with only good things. You can also call his name to invite him to a play session - use his favorite toys for this.

I will actually gather my pets together (dogs and cats), have them sitting and I will say their name before giving a treat.

Avoid using his name is he is being corrected for anything.
I do this too, I use their names all the time, I have a running monologue going when I am in my home, and I include Tolly Mazy and Jennie in it. When I feed them, when I play with them, every time I look at them.

I don't agree though about not using his name when he is being corrected. How will he know what he's doing isn't acceptable if you don't tell him?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I don't agree though about not using his name when he is being corrected. How will he know what he's doing isn't acceptable if you don't tell him?
I agree. I don't over due it though. In the case of telling Tanna to knock it off, it's either that or Siri forces her to do it - she's not a gentle cat, and even though she's a small cat Tanna is still half her size.

Also whenever I've just been cooking on the stove, sometimes one of the boys will hop up nearby to poke around - if I don't say the correct name, they won't jump down. Of course every time I yell "Sherman, get your butt down" from another room he thinks it means "Sherman, come here I want to pet you".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Just checking - your second cat can hear for sure? Deaf cats have a way of often mimicking other cats so they appear to be hearing.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that Midnight can hear. Because when I say his name, he responds with a meow. If he has his back to me, he turns toward me and meows.

I was talking to some friends about this, they have 2 small puppies. They said the same thing you guys are saying about not using their name to scold them and to only use their name in a positive way. I like the idea of sitting on the floor with them and saying their name and giving them treats. That sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've never had a cat that didn't learn their name. I also realized that all my cats have been boys, except for 1. It just kind of worked out that way.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruby35

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Midnight can hear. Because when I say his name, he responds with a meow. If he has his back to me, he turns toward me and meows.
Wait, I thought you said he didn't even turn his head in your original post???

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Maybe they think responds means running over? Some cats will do that, but the majority will look at you like "what do you want?" and just sit there. Not to be confused with not responding, that's just being a cat.

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Lol, what I'm complaining about is that Frankie doesn't respond, doesn't turn his head, doesn't even listen to me calling his name. Midnight, on the other hand, does respond to his name by meowing and does come over to me when I call his name. So, the reason why I'm so perplexed is because Midnight is totally acting like all the other cats I've ever had and knows his name just fine. Frankie though, I'm just not sure why he isn't getting it and why he pays zero attention to me when i use his name.

Like I said before, I've never had to "train" a cat to respond to their name, I never did anything special at all, they just figured it out on their own. I've never had more than 2 cats at the same time. They have all just learned their names on their own, they would come when I'd call them and they knew their names. I'm sure I didn't do anything special with Midnight to get him to know his name. But Frankie? He's a total sweeetie but I don't understand why he isn't learning his name.

Someone earlier posted that maybe he doesn't like the name. I suppose it's possible but I really think its a cute name so I don't want to change it, necessarily.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Lol, what I'm complaining about is that Frankie doesn't respond, doesn't turn his head, doesn't even listen to me calling his name. Midnight, on the other hand, does respond to his name by meowing and does come over to me when I call his name. So, the reason why I'm so perplexed is because Midnight is totally acting like all the other cats I've ever had and knows his name just fine. Frankie though, I'm just not sure why he isn't getting it and why he pays zero attention to me when i use his name.

Like I said before, I've never had to "train" a cat to respond to their name, I never did anything special at all, they just figured it out on their own. I've never had more than 2 cats at the same time. They have all just learned their names on their own, they would come when I'd call them and they knew their names. I'm sure I didn't do anything special with Midnight to get him to know his name. But Frankie?He's a total sweeetie but I don't understand why he isn't learning his name.

Someone earlier posted that maybe he doesn't like the name. I suppose it's possible but I really think its a cute name so I don't want to change it, necessarily.
Haha, Ok, i meant is Frankie deaf? He's not white is he?

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, they're both black cats. Midnight has a little white spotting on his belly and Frankie does not. Also, Midnight has really bright orange-ish eyes while Frankie has more greenish grey and the left one has a scar across it from an old URI and resulting ulcer that the shelter didn't properly treat before I adopted him.

Anyway, it may be possible that Frankie is deaf. But whenever they both hear a loud noise, they both turn their head immediately. Yesterday when we were playing with the turbo scratcher, the house settled rather loudly, and they both turned their head suddenly in the direction of the noise. So, I don't think he's deaf, but I suppose it's possible he may be hard of hearing.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, they're both black cats. Midnight has a little white spotting on his belly and Frankie does not. Also, Midnight has really bright orange-ish eyes while Frankie has more greenish grey and the left one has a scar across it from an old URI and resulting ulcer that the shelter didn't properly treat before I adopted him.

Anyway, it may be possible that Frankie is deaf. But whenever they both hear a loud noise, they both turn their head immediately. Yesterday when we were playing with the turbo scratcher, the house settled rather loudly, and they both turned their head suddenly in the direction of the noise. So, I don't think he's deaf, but I suppose it's possible he may be hard of hearing.
Probably not, if he reacts to 'other' noises. i just always think of that because I have a deaf cat.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1. Charlie was almost 1 or 2 months since I gave him a name, I always talked to him, like "Charlie is your name, okay?" and he would respond "meow"
and then pet him...

2. I always say his name especially if it's eating time.

3. I talked to everyone at home to call him Charlie..

Charlie has different reactions on how I say his name...Everyday when I got home, as soon as I enter the door, I will call him like this "Chaaaaaaaaarlieeeeeeee" it means that "where are you? I'm already here." And he will rush from the ceiling down to the ground.

When he jumped over the table, I will say "CHARLIE!", he will look at me and go down. If it's a plain "Charlie", he would just look towards me and go back to catnap.

Even the dogs know his name, when I call Charlie, dogs will look at me and then look on Charlie's direction

Cats communicate through sound and body language, maybe you should put some more sweetness in your tone.

Good luck!