One Cat Passed. The Other Has Become Incredibly Clingy!

catonetwo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my baby passed almost two weeks ago. I've been chronicoling some of her experience here. We have another cat, and I feel bad that I was so focused on the sick cat I didn't think it would affect the new cat in any kind of way.

The history of the two has always been crazy. The cat who passed was here before the other cat, and when the other cat tried to befriend her, she wasn't having it. So in all the years they have NEVER liked each other and if around one another they would fight. The cat that is still alive was bigger and stronger and if he sat next to her, the other cat would leave. They learned to co-exist but were never friendly with each other.

So when the first cat died I didn't think it would affect the new one but boy, he has become the most clingy cat ever! Everywhere I go he has to be there now. He began with sleeping and sitting in places that she used to. His appetite has been wonky which is strange because he's always been a hungry cat. He would always beg for food when I was eating while eating his own but now he mostly wants to eat the food I eat and will mostly eat if I'm standing around him at his bowl. I was sitting downstairs working and he sat next to me on the couch

I went upstairs and he followed me to sleep on the bed while I work. He wants to cuddle a lot now. He would periodically sleep with me and wake up before me but now he stays until I'm awake. He was already a talkative cat but is so much more vocal now.

It's not that it's a bad thing but he can be a bit smothering and I'm hoping this will pass but it just makes me a bit sad. Have you ever dealt with something like this?

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's grieving. Even if they weren't best friends, the other cat was a big part of his world. Give him the cuddles and attention and assurance that he needs right now, and make sure he keeps eating. Eventually he'll regain his balance. Hugs to you both on the loss of your other cat.

babyhuffman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My youngest cat did that when my oldest cat died. She even picked up his talking habit and followed me around everywhere. It is grief. Animals are more like people in relationships than we give them credit for. There's also the issue of the other cat not being there physically. The one who is left is trying to figure that out too and is probably wondering where it went. Cats like stability. It might take a while but your baby should come around. Just give him love and patience.