One cat household, but a possible middening incident

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I got Snickers about a week ago, and her litterbox habits were great, but I've had to shut her in a different room if scooping out the box, as she doesn't like it being messed with.

Today, after repeatedly refusing to share my food with her, I start my evening sweep-up (I live in the country, where you sweep up often), and I encountered something that wouldn't move when swept. Sure enough, it was a small amount of poop in the middle of the hall.

Now, I've read cats do this when they are claiming territory from other cats, but there are no other cats here, soI'm puzzled as to why she would do it. She's seemed pretty comfortable, is well-fed, though she did lose her voice for a few days (stress, maybe?) and her appetite yesterday. Today she's been eating, and I play chase the string/red dot with her 2-3 times a day to give her some exercise.

Any tips on how to stop this? On the guess that she might be thinking she's in charge here, I've taken away couch privileges and will move her bed to the living room (I was letting her sleep with me).

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's a one time thing and there are no 'presents' elsewhere it could be that she just wasn't feeling well and wasn't able to make it to the litter box in time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was just a little smear of poop on the floor.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah. It sounds like she had an upset stomach and maybe a soft bowl movement that got stuck on her paw or fur and transfered their then. Shows of dominance with feces are very in your face, like a pile on your pillow.

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You only had her one week! Why don't you give her a little time to get comfortable with you and for you to get comfortable with her and for her to start getting into certain habits etc. etc. You haven't had her long enough to see where her behavior is strange or unusual. You sound a little bit anxious with her at this point in time. Give her some breathing room and some time to relax and some time to get accustomed to her new surroundings. I'm sure all will be well.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely a cling-on from the litter box. Really you can't punish a cat by taking away privileges. In fact isolating her might make a problem where you don't have one. And of course the cat is in charge.

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh... glad it wasn't on my pillow. Snickers would become a barn cat then :p

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a quick plummet down the ladder 

When I first got my kitten I switched my kitten's food to quickly and she became quite ill and had to go to the vet. I realised I was totally ignorant and bought a book on kitten care. They really are useful because it's a sharp learning curve.     

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Such a quick plummet down the ladder 

When I first got my kitten I switched my kitten's food to quickly and she became quite ill and had to go to the vet. I realised I was totally ignorant and bought a book on kitten care. They really are useful because it's a sharp learning curve.     
LOL when dog people get a cat... she's been mostly relaxed the rest of the day, tho a bit ornery here and there. Presently asleep by my feet.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we first had Sukie as an eight week old kitten, she sought out a place in my wife's study and in a remote corner, she deposited a small pile of faeces.

She did it again a week later in a corner of the lounge, but that was nearly two years ago and she has never behaved like this again.  I agree that she was giving us a message, but what was the message?.  Perhaps it was that  "I am stressed in this new place and I am marking my place".

Sukie has developed into a very determined and sometimes difficult cat.  She shows a great deal of love for us, rubbing against our legs when she passes and squeaking a greeting when she first sees one of us in the morning.  (She can't miaow, just makes a nearly silent squeak like a creaking door.)  However she hates being moved and will pow us as a warning if we do try.  She does NOT want to sit on a lap and will jump off if we put her there. 

However she is very determined to sleep with my wife - she used to sleep with both of us in turn, but chooses my wife now, as I cannot sleep with such a great lump that becomes heavier every half an hour through the night and I have become too restless for her.   Here she is broadside to the bed, her favourite sleeping position, to the discomfort of the human sleeper who will be pushed off the bed.  Unfortunately she becomes hungry every morning at 4 o'clock and scratches the side of the bed as a signal for her poor slave to feed her. 

Is there some way to deter her from wakening in the small hours for a feed?

View media item 355524
We cannot have our birthday or Christmas cards on the mantelpiece as she will determinedly knock them off.  Below, she is trying to knock Basta, the Egyptian statuette,  off Sukie's throne,  Sukie occasionally admires herself in the mirror, monarch of all that she can see!.  

We had to remove Basta eventually and put her where Sukie had difficulty in seeing her.

With all  regards,

Geoffrey 

View media item 385414

Last edited:

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes please, give yourself, both, time to settle in. One accident does not mean an impending problem. What are you feeding? Is she constipated or has soft stool? What happened that she lost her voice? And what happened that she isn't eating? What do you think has upset her? IMO you are not helping keeping her isolated, off the couch, bed whatever you've allowed as her new routine. She can't understand losing her couch privilege with the fact you are upset that she left a poop in the hallway. It can take a new cat 1 week to 6 months to fully settle into your home. Lot's of loving, pets, playtime and reassurance and so forth will help her to feel safe and loved. Best wishes to both of you.

As an aside, my friend has a cat that 1-2 times a month will start in the litter box and whom knows where she finishes the poops. This cat is 16 yrs old and has done this off & on her whole life. The rest of the time her litter box habits are perfect. Friend thinks she's a bit constipated when this happens, strains, nothing happens, so she leaves the box and the urge to go again hits, rightawayquick. Canned food diet with a bit of extra water is usually all it takes to resolve this particular issue. Complete vet work up, everything is perfectly normal. This cat is indoor only, fed canned & has access to dry 24/7, so probably not getting enough water consistently, as I've found, cats don't drink that much if left to their own devices. Canned only diet really is best for them.

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I had the same problem with the 4am wake up with new little fellow. A friend suggested I take his canned food, add about 1 tsp. Or so into an ice cube tray, add a bit of water and stir up to make a slurry, freeze. At bedtime put one or two slurry ice cubes into their dish. It will melt over night and kitty has a snack to tide over. With a 5.5 can I get 8 ice cubes and put them into a Ziploc bag once they are frozen. It's a good way to sneak extra water into them too.

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, everyone. First time cat owner here, so don't know what I'm doing :p

The shelter had her on Whiskas (dry, purple bag). I'm still researching better options. Meanwhile, I supplement her with little bits of ground beef and cooked turkey, which she goes nuts over.

I'm not sure why she lost her voice, though she was sneezing for a few days. I added a little bone broth to her water and she seems to like it, slurping it down pretty quick. I'm hoping that gives her immune system a boost till we get a break in the weather and I can take her to the vet.

The shelter didn't give me any of her vet paperwork, so I'll be without a clue as to any medical condtions aside from their assurance she's in good health till they mail it to me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Okay, I got Snickers about a week ago, and her litterbox habits were great, but I've had to shut her in a different room if scooping out the box, as she doesn't like it being messed with.
Welcome to TCS.  Is that Snickers in your avatar?

This was the line that stuck out when I read your post.  What does she do when you clean the litter box.  Does she suddenly decide she needs to use it?  If that's the case, is it possible to get her a 2nd litter box in another room?  She may not like you "messing" with your box, but I guarantee she'd like it less if you never cleaned it. 

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I had the same problem with the 4am wake up with new little fellow. A friend suggested I take his canned food, add about 1 tsp. Or so into an ice cube tray, add a bit of water and stir up to make a slurry, freeze. At bedtime put one or two slurry ice cubes into their dish. It will melt over night and kitty has a snack to tide over. With a 5.5 can I get 8 ice cubes and put them into a Ziploc bag once they are frozen. It's a good way to sneak extra water into them too.
Thank you very much.  I shall try this.

Cheers,

Geoffrey

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Welcome to TCS.  Is that Snickers in your avatar?

This was the line that stuck out when I read your post.  What does she do when you clean the litter box.  Does she suddenly decide she needs to use it?  If that's the case, is it possible to get her a 2nd litter box in another room?  She may not like you "messing" with your box, but I guarantee she'd like it less if you never cleaned it. 

Yes, that's Snickers, morning after I took her home, already on the bed next to me, lol.

As for the litter box she starts grabbing at the bag I'm scooping into, and one time, she bit my forearm. Not hard enough to get past my sweater, but it was a WTH moment.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once found a dried up cat poo on the floor in my living room. No idea how it happened but it hasnt happened since.

In your case it probably had an upset tummy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Yes, that's Snickers, morning after I took her home, already on the bed next to me, lol.

As for the litter box she starts grabbing at the bag I'm scooping into, and one time, she bit my forearm. Not hard enough to get past my sweater, but it was a WTH moment.
That's strange about her annoyance at you cleaning the litter box. I guess all I can suggest is lock her in another room when you clean the litter box if her behavior continues.

She's very pretty, btw.  And great to hear she settled into her new home (and bed) so quickly. 

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Mine likes to play with everything, plastic, cardboard, boxes. Is it possible the crinkle of the plastic excited her and she thought it was play time? When Mr. Sparky becomes really playful he's lightly put his teeth into me too. I think he forgets I'm his servant & not another kitty.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the replies, everyone. First time cat owner here, so don't know what I'm doing :p

The shelter had her on Whiskas (dry, purple bag). I'm still researching better options. Meanwhile, I supplement her with little bits of ground beef and cooked turkey, which she goes nuts over.

I'm not sure why she lost her voice, though she was sneezing for a few days. I added a little bone broth to her water and she seems to like it, slurping it down pretty quick. I'm hoping that gives her immune system a boost till we get a break in the weather and I can take her to the vet.

The shelter didn't give me any of her vet paperwork, so I'll be without a clue as to any medical condtions aside from their assurance she's in good health till they mail it to me.

That's strange about her annoyance at you cleaning the litter box. I guess all I can suggest is lock her in another room when you clean the litter box if her behavior continues.

She's very pretty, btw.  And great to hear she settled into her new home (and bed) so quickly. 
My 16 week old kits get excited about everything I do including scooping their litter box. All my cats have had this obsession but grown out of it. While scooping a few weeks ago one of the babies crawled into the bag of litter and left a little present.  The biting and scratching are overstimulation not aggression.