One cat continually victimized/attacked by others?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - I'm trying to solve a problem, or at least come up with a new workable/viable solution.

Squishy is an old fart. I brought him home as an alternative to death January 2008. I knew he was older, the vet guessed 10, 13 tops then - but was guessing young. He is really close to 15-18 years old. He was neutered when he came to the shelter as a stray.

Long story - anyways - I treated him for suspected ringworm, which was just an allergic reaction (possibly had something to do with the fact that he slept in the litterbox at the shelter a lot).

He was adopted on the condition that he be a farm kitty (not my decision - don't debate it), however he could live indoors until spring.

He lived indoors with Cow, who at the time had just had a dental extraction. They did fine together - he meshed well with my cats. He developed issues with blood in his urine - we did meds, x-rays, Rx diets - the whole 9 yards. Partly due to the urinary issues, partly due to behavioral (he didn't *want* to be confined to the house), he began to spray. So spring came around, he was integrated into the farm cat population & all was well.

Until this past Summer 2009. He was attacked by someone (eventually it was determined to be toothless Cow) repeatedly. He suffered several abscesses & Cow was trying to drive him off the place.

So I built an outdoor enclosure for him, where he lives with 2 other kitties he does OK with. As a result of Cow's behavior towards Squishy, Squishy dislikes other male cats & will now try to start fights with them. Squishy & Cow quite obviously would fight to the death of allowed to do so.

I do let Squishy out of the enclosure supervised (when Cow is contained elsewhere), as he asks (sometimes begs) to go out. He was out for a very brief time Sunday when he returned. Lo & behold come Monday, he's developed an abscess there from 2 fang/puncture wounds.

I have no idea who did the latest damage - and I know I've got a problem here again. I thought I had it solved.

Any ideas on how I can create any sense of peace? I hate to *not* be able to let Squishy out of the enclosure, as he dreadfully wants out to go stalk leaves, mark things, and run some of his pudge off. I cannot possibly contain all of the other cats, as some are semi-feral & very sensitive about being touched/moved.....and I like my hands as they are.

Expanding the enclosure is a possibility, but not until spring. That would give Squishy & the other 2 girls more room to roam inside the enclosure.

Further mental stimulation is something I am constantly battling with. We play every day with a wand toy, he has furniture in the enclosure/shed to climb on, he has his BFF the turbo scratcher out there, and oodles of other toys. But nothing quite compares to wandering your turf & marking your places apparently.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im at a loss for you. But I hope it gets better or you figure out whats going on...I have a similar situation where Hercules out of nowhere will stalk and attack Fatman. But Herc plays so well with GiGi. We dont know if its jealousy or territorial..We are leaning towards jealousy because it only happens when Fatman comes out for his daily lovins!

I really hope you get this all figured out for Squishy!

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am in the same boat. The boys pick on Spoo constantly. She used to fight back ... now she has scratches on her nose

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem lately. Joey gets along with Sassy, but will stalk and beat up Alex every chance he gets. I was wondering if there is something wrong with Alex that Joey is picking on him. I hate it, but have no way to protect Alex.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good grief, Nat, when you come up with a complicated situation, you don't mess around do you? All the things that work on my kids wouldn't work on yours. When Merlin starts tormenting Whimsey, I get them both high on catnip and more attention. When Magic who is still semi-feral starts getting too self-effacing, I get him high and happy on Feliway. Would medication of some sort be an answer? And believe me, I don't make that suggestion lightly. It just might be an option....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrandall2000

Good grief, Nat, when you come up with a complicated situation, you don't mess around do you? All the things that work on my kids wouldn't work on yours. When Merlin starts tormenting Whimsey, I get them both high on catnip and more attention. When Magic who is still semi-feral starts getting too self-effacing, I get him high and happy on Feliway. Would medication of some sort be an answer? And believe me, I don't make that suggestion lightly. It just might be an option....
I've considered medicating them & the vet is fine with it, only because neither he nor I can come up with another viable solution - and this cannot continue to happen. Eventually, I fear Squishy's luck of healing fine from his wounds will run out. Buspar has worked wonders for Ophelia Rose, helped her get "comfortable in her own skin".....it might work for these two. Feliway doesn't help, neither does Rescue Remedy.

If Squishy wouldn't spray in the house, I'd let him live in a room & build an enclosure off it - but I've tried him in various rooms of the house & he sprays.....except for the bathroom, which has no window/no way to build an outdoor enclosure off of it.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrandall2000

Good grief, Nat, when you come up with a complicated situation, you don't mess around do you?...

How very frustrating for you, WCL. I have no advice to offer, I'm sorry, but I'm sending lots of supporting thoughts and encouragement your way. I hope everything works out for your furry family and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the buspar will be just what they need to calm down. <<<<<hugs>>>>

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats that were always outdoors just don't adapt well to being indoor cats. I have a few that like to come inside to get warm and for the "buffet" then just wants back outside again. But, with Squishy's age, it's probably best the he stays inside during the winter, and I know it's probably starting to get cold out there.

Truthfully, you may want to see if you can get him on a low dose of valium or another kind of seditive. I also don't like suggesting it, but he needs to stay safe. It sounds like he is considered a trespasser on already claimed territory outside. That is most likely where the problem is coming from. Living indoors with another cat is one thing (since they are all "prisoners")...sharing outdoor territory is another. I'm just guessing here, throwing that out?

Another suggestion apart from a winter inclosure....do you think Squishy would tolerate a harness? Ok, you can laugh now if you want, but it's just a suggestion. That way he would get his outside time, but you would be there to supervise.