On owning an exotic cat

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the big poly paws too. That is Aurora, she has 2 extra toes and she is split mitt. That foot is actually split in 2, almost like she has 2 paws

Yes, we did put the harness on early and keep it on, so she is always used to it. She goes for car rides a lot and enjoys lying in the back window making everyone take a double take.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoey's almost looks "split" except she just has that one 'toe' on the side and a small nail/toe in between that and the other toes. So it looks like she has mittens

I actually had a cat when I was a kid with full 6 toes on every paw not split.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to mention that Amber's home page is now up and running. There is not a whole lot there yet, but I am working on it. Who knows, maybe Ambercam will be next

shirrell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is in Alabama and now they are mini bobcats and a registered breed. Look identical to the real thing. Is that what yours is?

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Amber is a real wild bobcat. What your friend may have is a Pixie Bob. I have and breed Pixie Bobs also, they are pictured on Amber's photo page.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by catlover67

How is it you can own a Bobcat? I know Texas allows people to keep exotics/big cats as pets, so Ohio must too? Or do you have to have a special permit given in special circumstances? Amber looks very sweet and friendly. Does she ever exhibit wild, unpredictible tendencies like the BIG cats do?
I know this is an old thread...however I figured I would post this out there for anyone who is still curious.

http://www.phoenixexotics.org/ .ORG

http://www.lioc.us/

http://www.lioc.org/

All three of these are very valuable resources, filled with owners of various exotics from geoffroys to tigers.

Each state is different, and it takes a lot of time and planning and EXPERIENCE before someone should get into owning an exotic species of their own.

These groups heavily support the right to responsibly own these animals, as do I. To do so they are open to inquiries from everyone, and willing to be valuable resources of information for anyone wanting to get into exotic cats, or even just wanting to find out more about responsible captive practices.

Spotz

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, owning an exotic cat is not for everyone. You have to be willing to spend a great deal of time with your cat. Amber is treated as if she was our child not as a "show off item". She goes everywhere with us. The more human contact the better. I never regret the moment we brought Amber into our lives. She is a lot of work, but for my wife and I, it is worth it

Thank you for the links, however, this one http://www.phoenixexotics.com/ has nothing to do with cats

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I updated my post with the correct link...

It's a habit to type .com and I constantly surprise myself with that site.

Good to hear you are having great success with socializing Amber. Keep it up. Of all the species I have worked with and around the Lynx family seems to be the most attention needy. They just love all the attention they can get.

I only wish Florida was as close to Ohio as the internet would make it seem.

Spotz

gus's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I think you are blessed to be able to share your home with such a beautiful creature. There was a situation here in the Vancouver area awhile ago where a homeless person was living out of her car and she had a Cervet (sp?) cat in the car with her. Well the cat escaped causing panic in the neighborhood. The media was saying it was a cougar. Big difference in size I think. Anyway, someone found it and turned it over to the SPCA who found a nice sanctuary for it. Poor guy.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I vaguely recall that one.

The correct spelling is a Civet Cat, and they aren't even a real cat closer to weasels and badgers genetically than cats.

LOL...gotta love the media...

Spotz

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been reading this thread and also the wild cat one.
I would just like you to know that I am still in love with Amber. I think she is absolutely beautiful and obviously well loved and cared for. Good luck to you all

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amber and I thank you for the wonderful words
She truly is a joy to have in our home. I will not lie, there is a lot of work owning her, but I never regret my decision to bring her into our lives.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, John, I just visited your website, and found out Amber and I are from the same hometown!!! I had no idea there was a bobcat breeder just down the road from me when I lived there. Just seeing the outdoor shots of their cats made me homesick!

Your pics of Amber are and aboslute delight! She is so obviously loved and well-cared for, it must be such a joy to care for such a beautiful creature.

Erica Lynn, mom to one (very very tame) feline!

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love seeing Amber, she is so beautiful. Thank-you for being so open to questions about owning and being owned by a bobcat. I don't think I have anything to add as everyone has seemed to cover the basis... oh, how is Amber with dogs? Has she ever been around one? and how does she react?
k thanks.