On our way to the ER...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If he's old enough (maturity wise) to understand you tell him the honest truth as to what could happen if he doesn't..
I sat him down and told him it could be a life of death situation if he got stung and didn't use it

Originally Posted by RicaLynn

Alycia I'm so sorry to hear that your DS has a venom allergy! I myself am allergic to wasps and hornets, and I must (should) carry an epi-pen during warmer weather. There are actually about 8 different types of stinging insect venom, and it's rare for someone to be allergic to all of them. I'm reactive to only two. If you can find out which ones he needs to avoid, then you can learn which ones to look for. I understand your fear of another reaction, but you can learn to deal with this AND let your DS have some fun!

The Epi-pen is one of those things you know you need to have on hand, but you hope you'll never have to use it. It's generally only used in a full-blown anaphalactic reaction, when swelling of the face or tongue or difficulty breathing is noticed. Did the ER staff give you or your son any instruction on how or when to use the epi-pen? If not, try calling back to the ER or calling your son's pediatrician to ask about an instructional video or a consultation. And definitely notify school personnel as soon as possible!!

FWIW, I was stung earlier this summer (in the armpit, as I was picking up my DD!), and did not have my epi-pen with me. Two things that were fortunate for me: 1)I was at a friend's home, and she had benadryl on hand, which I took immediately after the sting, and 2)it was not a species to which I was reactive. Even if it had been an allergenic sting, the benadryl would have helped slow an anaphalactic reaction and given me a bit of time to get to medical attention.
We have to go back to the Dr next week to have an allergy test done to find out what exactly he's allergic to

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I am going to have to ask them if he has to keep it in the office or if he's allowed to have it on him.
We had a girl in my high school that I was friends with who was very allergic to a lot of things. And at the beginning of the year the teachers would always just introduce her and show her epi-pen (which she kept in her purse) and told all of us how to use it just in case. It might not be a bad idea to have them do something like that just incase.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope he is okay!

It must of been very nerve racking for you all , glad he is over the worst of it!
Jess x

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of years ago, a bee flew through my car window and lit on my leg while on the way to work. I didn't notice it until I put my arm on it and it stung me. I had never been allergic before but it had been over 30 years since I had been stung. My arm swelled up and then I started to have problems breathing. I went to work anyway and my boss told me to go across the street to the hospital. I got a shot of benedryl and gave me some pills but since I had never had a reaction before, that is all they did. When I went to my doctor for my regular check up, I mentioned this to him. He immediately wrote a prescription for the Epi-pen. I have it in my purse but it has since expired. LOL I don't think I will get it refilled since I am rarely where bees and wasps are.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed you are in Fl, but not sure how close to the coast you are. I know if people are allergic to bees, they are usually allergic to jelly fish too. I used to scuba dive with a girl and she had to carry an epi-pen with her on every dive in a waterproof pouch just in case we had to bring her to the surface after a sting. But, she would have extreme reactions to bee stings, and in not being able to breathe a few minutes after being stung, so it doesn't sound like your son is that bad. But, it's something to ask the doctor about if you ARE close to the ocean.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I am going to have to ask them if he has to keep it in the office or if he's allowed to have it on him.
many schools will simply say he must keep it in the office... however, if you're really concerned, you can probably make them change their policy [especially due to his age].
we have a diabetic child at our school [2nd & 3rd graders]. his syringes & insulin are kept in the nurse's office, not on his person. however, unless he's on a field trip, he's never far enough away for that to cause a problem.
layout/size of the school will make a difference as to what is the best plan for your DS. in a large school, where he might be quite far from the office, it would be better to have it on his person [always assuming he'll be capable of administering it to himself]. otoh, if the school is fairly small or compact, the office might be an ok place.