On going support/updates/reports of use, for people with cats on the new Hills y/d hyperthyroid cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jason young guy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks LCat4, that was really helpful. If you can send me that websites link if you can or post it here. Or I may can find it through google. That sounds really good and like a doable option.

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@peaches08 Lewis had the I131 treatment about three years ago. He had had all the classic symptoms, losing weight but eating a ton of food. The treatment did what it was supposed to, and I highly recommend the procedure. We found Clark was hyperthyroid about the time of his bladder cancer diagnosis. His T4 level was in that gray zone, he wasn't losing weight, but was under stress. At the time, it was hard to differentiate that stress from the stress with his urine blockages. There was never a discussion to have or not have the iodine treatment; I don't think anyone thought Clark would live long enough to justify the procedure. The thought was to control the hyperthyroidism with medication and see what we could do about the masses in his bladder. We put a stent in his urethra to extend the bladder opening beyond where the masses had formed. Twelve months later, he's still with us. Maybe if he had had the iodine procedure, it would be one less medical issue his body would have to deal with. The masses in the bladder are growing and his kidneys are worsening, so again, no one is suggesting the procedure. But his doctors are all amazed that he is doing as well as he is. I chalk it up to lots of love and good food, with a little help from medical science.

Jason, the BCP Pharmacy website link is http://www.bcpvetpharm.com/
We get the liver vet chews, they can also do the transdermal or liquid. There are probably other compounding facilities that have similar products, these guys have quick turn around with door to door service. We also used them for another cat's Budesonide prescription. To me, it's the greatest invention for long term pilling.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry about Clark. Thanks for the explanation, it may help others reading this thread.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be foolish not to do a long term study on a new product for any animal.
Sadly, the "prescription" diets aren't regulated in any particular way. In fact, they're just a trademark by Hill's Pet.

The regulations for cat food are simply either a nutrient analysis that indicates the food meets AAFCO nutrient guidelines OR a feeding trial. Feeding trials are expensive, despite the fact that all that's required is eight cats be fed the food for 26 weeks, and for a food to pass the feeding trial, only six of the cats have to complete the trial, and the cats have to not lose more than 15% of their body weight over the course of the trial.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jason young guy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses. I'm mostly concerned or looking for updates from other users that have their cat's on this food for longer than a year or so. Sylvester is going on 2 years now, and his rear is still looking terrible and bothering him. It could be from age and arthritis, but although he looks skinny or loss of muscle mass in his rear, his weight is pretty much the same and he seems to be doing ok health wise. So, I don't know, the vet can't pinpoint anything wrong other than early stages of kidney disease, and his water intake has massively increased. We did xrays and everything looked normal, and he's continuing the food.

I will say I have added in some other high protein food for his health sake because this y/d is so low in protein, and this is what contributes to the muscle mass breakdown when a cat doesn't get the amount they need. I did hear everyone say, including my vet, that this food want work if I add anything. So, I choose an organic food that is made of mostly liver, and only give it to him sporadically like every other week and only a half can.

His panting, hyper activity and restlessness still hasn't returned, so I know his T4 levels are maintaining low as I know what he was like when they were spiked before starting the food. So, I don't suggest giving your cat anything other than the y/d, but for me I'm giving him something added for protein.

Just a update. Sly is doing well over all, but I can tell a change in him physically. I hope it's just age and not the y/d.

Blessings.

peachys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have enjoyed reading all the posts concerning using Hill's Prescription y/d. I have two 12 yrs old cats. Both are in great health eating Fromm. However I have started noticing a loss of weight, howling at night and a lot of anxiety in one of my cats. My vet diagnosed Hyperthyroidism. Her blood work came in at a 9. The only option to consider was trying this food. I recognize that the ingredients are not what I wish for, however there can be little to no iodine in the food. (It needs to be deficient in iodine content as to limit the ability of the thyroid follicular cells to produce the thyroid hormones T3 and T4). When you put them (cats)  into iodine deficiency it reduces the production of thyroid hormones.

I started her on the dry and wet. She was not crazy about eating the wet, however I added a VERY TINY bit of beef gravy and some water and she has been eating the wet just fine. She munches on the dry sometimes. Her weight was down to 7.2 lbs. and now she is up to 8 lbs. She is regaining her coat and is relaxed and back to her old self. She has been on this food for 4 months. The challenge is not letting her eat my other cats food. I feed them separately and am careful not to leave any "crumbs" from his food lying around. I have mixed feelings about feeding this food, however our options are limited so this was the best choice for me and so far I am pleased. I will keep in touch as the months go by as to her success!