On Going Mat Problem

shellyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our long haired cat won't let me brush his arm pits and he gets mats.  He also doesn't like when I cut them out and I haven't been able to get him used to the sound of the electric trimmer. I have taken him to a groomer where they kept him all day, washed & dried him and shaved his whole underside.  The next time I took him to the Vet where they sedated him and shaved his underside but no washing or drying.  The washing and drying prior to shaving didn't last any better than just the straight shaving.  The Vet office claims that their sedation is safe.   My question is which is less traumatic for him? 

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I don't have any personal experience with this but would feel weird about routinely sedating my cat. In your situation, I would go with the groomers.

In the meantime, you can work on training your cat to allow you to brush him and shave him. Just take it slowly and be sure to reward with lots of treats and praise. Even one knot every couple of days is something!

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you can locate a mobile cat groomer (groomer who works out of a van) or a house call cat groomer. If you hire these types of groomers, your cat will be groomed either in a van in front of your home or in your own home. No waiting around in cages. 

Do you use a small metal comb to try to comb out the mats? That is what works for me. Unless you have a very mellow cat and great lighting, I think it's risky to try to cut out the mats yourself. The skin under the armpits is as thin as paper. Since it has a top layer, it's possible to cut the top layer, then over time the cut splits open, then it becomes an open wound.  If you do decide to cut out the mats, place a comb between the scissors and the skin. I like to use small ball-tip scissors. 

Groomers use electric clippers that are of a higher quality than what one would buy in a pet store.  The length of the blade is important.

For long-haired cats, I suggest that owners have their cats groomed monthly, but if that isn't a possibility, then at least every three months. If the cat is washed, blow-dried, and the underarms and belly are shaved every 3 months, the mats may not appear -- as long as you also try to do some combing.

Owner love to use the word "traumatic". Was your cat affected for days and days after the grooming? Most cats bounce back quickly. The cats who don't quickly bounce back are generally very nervous cats who have a hard time being handled by a stranger.

It's definitely safer to avoid sedation, as long as your cat is manageable. Good luck!