OMG the can opener!!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For some reason Lily gets ridiculously excited when she hears me opening a can. She runs into the kitchen, meowing like mad at me, rubbing around my legs and won't leave me alone until I show her what I'm opening, and even then she still thinks it's super exciting.

The reason this is weird is because we don't feed wet food! We did when they were kittens, but they've always preferred dry. We occasionally give them tinned food when we have foster kittens or ferals, so the tinned food will be junky stuff, or high quality kitten food, and Lily in particular ALWAYS turns her nose up. She has no interest in tinned food, yet always comes running at the sound of a can opener

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

For some reason Lily gets ridiculously excited when she hears me opening a can. She runs into the kitchen, meowing like mad at me, rubbing around my legs and won't leave me alone until I show her what I'm opening, and even then she still thinks it's super exciting.

The reason this is weird is because we don't feed wet food! We did when they were kittens, but they've always preferred dry. We occasionally give them tinned food when we have foster kittens or ferals, so the tinned food will be junky stuff, or high quality kitten food, and Lily in particular ALWAYS turns her nose up. She has no interest in tinned food, yet always comes running at the sound of a can opener
Haha, hope springs eternal I guess! My dogs RUN through the house when they hear a fork scaping a plate in the kitchen. You would think all they get fed is table scraps. LOL

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat used to do that too. Every time she heard the electronic can opener start she would come RUNNING into the kitchen, screaming at the top of her lungs (and she was an extremely quiet cat). I don't think my mom's cats ever had a stitch of wet food, so who knows why she freaked out either.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine come running when they hear the manual can opener because they know we're opening either tuna or salmon.
Of course, Hannah comes running anytime you go near the kitchen, so it's not that big a deal for her!

photogbuff1970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my favorite memories of Sam
was when I used to have tuna & rice (mixed with mayo) --> it was a quick dinner when I was in college that ended up being a quick dinner during married life...if my wife was sick or if I was too darned lazy to cook dinner for myself (or if my wife was at work). If I wanted vegetables, I mixed in peas.
Well, every time I took the manual can opener and started opening up the can, Sam would be in the kitchen, meowing "Hey...I want some!!!"

So finally, I started giving him a small chunk of tuna while I had the rest of the can with rice.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has that kind of reaction when I turn off the cordless mouse. The mouse has an on/off button which makes a slight 'click' sound when I turn it off, and that's when Kuura jumps up and runs to the kitchen meowing and demanding for food.