OMG! Space Shuttle Columbia!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there was a terrorist onboard, they would have done something at liftoff not wihle they were landing. The terrorist conspiracy doesnt fly.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something Mike pointed out to me when I told him about the ludicrous statement that one of the astronaunts might be a terrorist. If there was a bomb on board, space travel would of made most bomb material very unstable. Mike used to work for the aerospace industry long ago.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else here, this wasn't an act of terrorism. It was a really tragic accident, and I'm sure NASA will eventually determine the cause and take steps to prevent it from happening again.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so sad. What a tragedy for the whole world.
I was away for the day, and only heard about on the radio, but I just put on the TV and the pictures are so terrifying.

My thoughts and prayers to the families that lost a loved one today.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A special memory of the space shuttle Columbia...

Kim, I don't have the memories that you do of the shuttles lifting off, or of the Challenger disaster. However, on Columbia's maiden flight, she carried a number of small American flags. When she landed, these flags were distributed to all the cities in America named Columbia.

I grew up in Columbia, Maryland. Our city's "space" flag, along with a picture of the crew and a letter telling the story was proudly displayed in our main library. I can remember seeing every time I entered and left the library.

The space shuttle Columbia was our city's shuttle, and the tragic events today just hit a little harder, because of my memories of that flag and picture.

Christy

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 39 miles high and 12,500 mph, an escape hatch would have done no good.

The nuts are coming out of the woodwork. People are showing up at emergency rooms, claiming to have been hit by debris and to have been contaminated by touching debris. Anything falling, from that altitude at that speed, would have killed anyone hit and any toxic chemicals would have burned off. Some people will capitalize on any disaster. Hope they're proven to be frauds and prosecuted.

The same thing happened, after 9/11. A woman claimed that her son had been killed, at the World Trade Center. Turns out, he wasn't even in New York State, much less at the WTC.

manomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why are people like that?

Shouldn't we all be focusing our thoughts and prayers on those who were in the shuttle, and their loved ones? - not using this terrible tragedy for some kind of personal gratification, or attention seeking?

My prayers are with those people who were lost, and their families grieving for them.

Naomi

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its getting worse - pieces of debris have, already shown up, on EBay. NASA stepped in and EBay pulled them and NASA is recovering them.

I hate crooks and ghouls!
What next? Body parts?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats awful!!!! D..n when will people stop capitalising on a tragedy???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about debris showing up on eBay earlier today. I really wonder about some people....

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is all so very very tragic and sad!!! My heart goes out to the families of the people killed, as well as my prayers. And to suggest that one of them was a secret terrorist and might have set a bomb from within is completely insane. This was a tragic tragic accident!!!!!!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since this is a very important thread I just wanted to bump it up again.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the news just now they said that 8 people are hospitilized because of burns and injuries resulting in touching the debris. After all those warnings people still had to touch the debris?

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And the sad thing is, they will probably end up suing someone because they weren't smart enough to listen to the warnings not to touch the debris.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just talked to my cousin Doris in Texas and she said that some of the areas in Nacogdoches are very "woodsy" and some people have satellite instead of local TV or no TV at all. Of course if they don't know by now, they must be hermits with no electricity...

Doris and I batted around a theory of how it may have been hard to get the first initial warning to 'Not Touch' out in time for some folks that either pay no attention to shuttle landings and had no idea or children playing outside, people fishing or hunting who may have been oblivious to the situation...

It is a scary thought to be out, say bird watching in the woods, and then witness metal falling out of the sky, crashing down on the ground —worse yet having no clue as to what the heck just happened...I think I would be permanently FREAKED...

NASA sure does have their work cut out for them. Thank God no one on the ground was killed...it almost seems that the debris was guided by God or something, to avoid additional loss of life....

Just rambling...Kim

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They also just said that some debris is being reported found in Arizonia and New Mexico

nenners

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can remember the Challenger disaster. I was in fourth grade. We were all watching the launch. After we realized it exploded, I asked to be excused from watching any further. I went out into the empty hallway and cried. Yesterday, my landlord came over to fix my toliet. I turned on the news. He didn't know anything was going on. We just stood there and watched the news. We couldn't even say anything to each other because we were both in shock. I have people in my family that have worked for NASA and have even been on flights. This is such a tradgedy, especially for the families.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's so surreal. It still hasn't sunk in for me yet. I just can't believe how quickly the rug can be yanked out from under you.