OMG - She is a Pedigree

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

The large majority of London cat rescue groups will not re-home a cat to a household that does not have a garden or a catflap.
The policy on this kind of thing varies from shelter to shelter - there isn't a set of rules that all have to follow. Now that there are more cats being kept indoors over here, there are inevitably more indoor cats ending up in shelters. That means that most shelters will rehome some cats to indoor homes, but it depends on the cat's individual needs. A cat that has previously been outside will probably only be rehomed to somewhre where it can go outside, but a cat that has previously been kept indoors or that is sick or disabled will be looking for an indoor home. As to rehoming kittens to indoor homes - that varies. Some will accept an indoor home, some will not. Most will advise the cat be kept in at night. None would encourage an unspayed female having free access outdoors - in fact, none would be in favour of a cat remaining unneutered.

As far as fostering kittens goes - surely both kittens and mother need to be kept indoors until the former are vaccinated and neutered and the latter is neutered? booktigger is from the UK and fosters so she might know better the requirements for fosterers.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

Actually, madpiano is right.

The large majority of London cat rescue groups will not re-home a cat to a household that does not have a garden or a catflap.

I can give you links to my 4 local shelters if anyone wants to dispute this.
Having an enclosed garden is very different than allowing your cat to free roam though, and like urban said, I'm sure they don't condone un-altered cats being outside There are quite a few UK members that keep their cats strictly indoor.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can kind of understand where the original poster is coming from. I have a purebred Akita dog, purchased from a family who got her at a pet store. She is a beautiful animal, and has a great temperament. We considered "just one litter" since she is purebred. But after a little research, we learned that good quality breeders of animals just will not sell at petstores. So no matter how gorgeous they are to the untrained eye, they are not breeding quality. Fabulous pet quality, if you get lucky, but not to be bred.

I rescue, and can attest for the fact that there are too many cats. I love them, too, but the numbers that are euthanized! Just so heartbreaking. And I've had some losses of foster kittens, so know that the idea of breeding for just one litter can bring with it some heartache.

Basically, this site is pro spay and neuter, unless you are a breeder with a plan. If you have more questions, you might want to post on the breeders forum, and get their input on what makes a breeding quality animal.

Another option for fostering a preggers cat would be to watch the newspaper. If you see someone posting a found pregnant cat, offer to take it (if they don't find the owner) and foster it through the pregnancy.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a very controversial topic here at TCS and one that has been well covered, not only in ~this~ thread but in others before it -- but the bottom line is simple: unless you have the registration/ownership documents for your cat which clearly show you own the breeding rights AND you intend to breed responsibly, it would be against the policies currently in place here at TCS for us to assist you in your efforts. And from your post here, it is clear to all of us that you do not possess ownership of the registration/breeding rights nor do you have the intent to breed your cat with any degree of responsibility.

Since many of us (myself included - I am both a breeder and a member of the "Rescue Community") are deeply involved with the plight of homeless cats, our feelings on this matter tend to run hot. It is this passion that keeps us going and allows us to steel ourselves against the atrocities we see each and every day -- many of which could be avoided if people would but spay or neuter their household pets. We are not going to support efforts to make even more heartbreaking work for those who share our concerns, no matter where in the world they might be working on those problems.

It is for this reason that I am now closing this thread. Further inquiry can be addressed to me personally via private email or in private message here at TCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.