OMG IS IT JUST ME OR are vets getting more and more expensive??

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

maybe where you are. but..honestly..from someone who has had vets in city and country. I would much prefer my babies to be seen by the country vet.
I was just wondering. I do not plan to change vets. I like the country vet because he knows me personally and my pets and the atmosphere is great. The money I pay for loving people is great. I will agree I choose country. Skittles even reacts to him great. The Vet in CA she was going to kill him. I just think they deal with stuff differently. I also think a lot of them show the compassion.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by frawri

Also in our state they insist that you have to have rabies shots done every year. When the shot is really made for a 3-year stint. They got them last year; I am not going to get them this year.
I'm not sure about other states, but in Massachusetts if you bring a cat in and don't get a rabies shot, or don't get it updated the next year you can get your driver's licences suspended! I have no idea how they punish people who don't drive. I for one need to get to work so I don't argue, even though they are both indoor cats.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are two rabies shots: there is a shot certified for one year, and there is a shot certified for three years. You receive a certificate which states which you received. When you license your cat, they want to see the certificate, and whether the shot is current. So a three-year shot stays current for three years, a one-year shot for one year.

My vet says the three-year shot is basically just three times the same vaccine as the one-year shot. Therefore the three-year shot has a higher risk of vaccine-induced sarcoma. So she recommends the one-year shot on a yearly basis.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wary of both places that seem to charge through the nose and places that seem to offer a bargain, myself. I feel most comfortable patronizing a place that offers reasonable and competitive prices.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found out that in KY you have to get a rabies shot every year. Even if you get the 3 year shot. So I will be getting the 3 year shot, as for them taking my licens away I don't think they do that here.

Francine

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would you get a three year shot if your state requires it yearly? The three year shot has a much higher risk of vaccine-induced sarcoma. If you're not worried about the legal repurcussions, then you're better off getting the one year shot every three years. Immunity doesn't suddenly drop to zero at the end of the year.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All, nice to hear about others vet experiences. My vet clinic is VERY expensive.

Now I have one who comes to the house.

The vet clinic wanted to do an ultra sound of Diablo's liver (300 dollars and no way we could treat it if he *did* have cirrohis of the liver) when he and Sheba both came down with diarreah and stuff. (They ate bad chicken, and probably got salmonella, and got better without anti bios in a few days. In fact the anti bios made it worse, and I stopped giving them it after day 1!!)

They gave Diablo an enema and blood work and xray, the total cost of both cats was 800!!! needless to say, I'm like everyone else, streched, and didn't have money for it. I now manage at home, call the home based vet and nurse at home when they are sick. They don't get shots (the oldsters)
since they aren't out much. I give them good food, and I have decided outside of Diabetes or a "manageable" disease, once they are in pain and
suffer too much (no quality of life) it is my responsibility to send them over the bridge. (And that means not spending 1000s for cancer treatments
... in a 16 year old cat???... who hates vet visits???)

Lexi the youngest, got her shots but one time - and I am doing no annuals for her I can tell you!! Just the basics. She hasn't been in to the vet
clinic at all...

I remember when I first got Diablo and Shebs that vet visits cost under
150. I used to pay about that to have Diablo's wounds from cat fights
patched up and cleaned out. I NEVER had a bill over 280 dollars until a few years ago. Now, its about 180 just to get blood work done!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I found out that in KY you have to get a rabies shot every year. Even if you get the 3 year shot. So I will be getting the 3 year shot, as for them taking my licens away I don't think they do that here.

Francine
I had no idea of that (am in ky). A few of my neighbors don't even bother getting their cats fixed, let alone a yearly anything, and I honestly don't see how they WOULD regulate that. What is the logic of a yearly three-year shot anyway? That sounds very unnecessary.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I moved to KY from MN, thats why I had the 3 year shot. When I came down here, they said I had to get it again. Because KY does it every year. Well lets just say I haven't done it yet. He is due for one this year, so I will get it then.

Francine

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops should also ad, I didn't have any idea that the 3 year shot was bad to get. Nor has my dog had any bad affects from it. Oh yeah it was my Chi that got the shot not my cats. LOL Just why do they think cats that never get outside need rabies shots is beyond me. But since I can get into trouble for it, I will get it for them.

Francine

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet with Maggie May & Jazz. Rabies shot, senior panel & office visit for my 2 girls - 470.66!!!!!! And Jazz has to go for her heart check up in June!
On the upside their weight is good, tartar is not excessive all seems good
and boy did I get jelous when MM let the office manager hold her. She never lets me hold her.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For those defending the high costs based on their costs, I'm sorry, I still can't agree. Sometimes it feels like blackmail.

And I can see charging certain rates for needed and expensive procedures that require special equipment, etc.

But ...

Perhaps animal medications are more expensive than those for humans. Then something needs to be done to regulate those manufacturers. But how often can a MUCH cheapter generic drug produced for human use be prescribed and filled by the customer at a local pharmacy. More times than I'm sure actually happen.

Especially for those on lower incomes, it would be nice to be able to bring a pet into a vet (assuming there is nothing else wrong) to ask simply for routine shots, and nothing else. That would allow more people to own pets. However it makes it difficult if one has an "office visit" tacked on for $40, $60, or more just to ask for the shots, when the office visit isn't needed at the time.

For those of you who have family physicians who you've known for a while, and have a good history with, how many times have you been able to call the office and simply ask the doc to prescribe something for a cold, or the like, that you've taken before and you know what you need. Most times if it's something simple, they will. Try that with a vet, even if you know what you need. Not much in the way of working with or cooperation there.

Regarding that credit plan, what about those who aren't able to get it? What do they do? It means giving up or not having pets, and that means more homeless animals suffering on the streets.

How about sliding scales? Or clinics, even part time ones, for those who need them, based on income also?

If those kinds of things were fought for by rescue groups, etc., perhaps there would be a big dent in the overflowing homeless animal population.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charmed654321

...If those kinds of things were fought for by rescue groups, etc., perhaps there would be a big dent in the overflowing homeless animal population.

Yes!! We need to be thinking more about providing homes for pets. The high cost of caring for a pet these days works against this goal.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been going to the same vet clinic for about 18 yrs. They orginally had I think 3 vets doing both large and small animal care. They have added 3 more vets over the years. There prices have been going up too over this time period.
By the end of the month they are moving into their new facility about 1 1/2 miles from their current location. I haven't had any complaints with them over the years as I am I a pretty friendly basis with most of them. At this time I wouldn't want to switch to a new vet. Are they the cheapest date in town-no but I think they do a really good job-they don't push extra stuff at you a and follow your wishes.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just did some calling around, because my dogs are going to be due for their rabies shots. Well just for an office visit, it was 16.50, then the cost of an exam was 25.00. OK guys what the heck do they call and office visit!!! I figured that the exam was the office visit. That is just plain silly to me. By the end of it all, I was going to have to pay about 350. Now I think that is just way too much to handle.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just did some calling around, because my dogs are going to be due for their rabies shots. Well just for an office visit, it was 16.50, then the cost of an exam was 25.00. OK guys what the heck do they call and office visit!!! I figured that the exam was the office visit. That is just plain silly to me. By the end of it all, I was going to have to pay about 350. Now I think that is just way too much to handle.
Where in KY are you?

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to a normal neighborhood vet for my kitten. It cost me about $150 to get screened for all the major diseases (FIV, FeLV, etc.), basic kitten shots, and spaying. No fees for "office visit", "aftercare", "stitch removal" or any other such nonsense. The only thing I can reason for the cost consciousness is that the vet is older, established, and knows the relative income of his area (which is a combo of both young entry-level workers and middle-to-upper class families).

I think some of these vets that overcharge are doing it consciously. Why should my $150 of quality care equal $400+ elsewhere?

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by random

I went to a normal neighborhood vet for my kitten. It cost me about $150 to get screened for all the major diseases (FIV, FeLV, etc.), basic kitten shots, and spaying. No fees for "office visit", "aftercare", "stitch removal" or any other such nonsense. The only thing I can reason for the cost consciousness is that the vet is older, established, and knows the relative income of his area (which is a combo of both young entry-level workers and middle-to-upper class families).

I think some of these vets that overcharge are doing it consciously. Why should my $150 of quality care equal $400+ elsewhere?
It would , to a decent vet, depend a lot on cost of living in the location. The more they have to pay to run the clinic and keep the lights on, the more they'll have to charge for services.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen "do it yourself" shots listed in a pet supply magazine. There is no way I'm doing it by myself as I wouldn't be sure I could do it correctly and what if the cat got away and you squirted the shot? You have to order another one! I can see where on a cost basis that might appeal to some people.