Omg Im So Scared. Did The Cat Bite Or Scratch Me?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried to take the stray cat to the vet and it got scared going in the carrier. It happen so fast. Im worried i got bit and need a rabies shot. What should i do?

Attachments

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does look like a cat bite or nail puncture. Did you catch the cat? It will likely need to be quarantined for 10 days. If not, call your doctor as soon as possible. They will likely suggest that you get a series of rabies shots. The risk is pretty low, but not worth the chance.

You could also get cat scratch fever. One of our indoor cats was sick and in pain at the vet's and bit me, giving me cat scratch fever. I got antibiotics (lots of them) and a tetanus shot. She was a little overdo for her rabies shot, so they quarantined her for ten days.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat scratches and bites happen, do not panic. Keep it clean, apply Neosporin and keep an eye on it. If it looks infected, pus comes out, it swells or redness spreads see your doctor as soon as possible. I'd also leave the bandage off the spot unless you are going somewhere where dirt can get into it, but that's more a personal preference with small injuries.

Where are you located (in a general sense)? The risk of rabies is fairly low in most areas. Since the cat was in a stressed situation and it wasn't a random attack it is unlikely the cat has rabies. But, keep on eye on the cat and it's behavior for the next week to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks first time with this kind of thing. So scared to wait. But feel bad if mom and babies got to go to yet another place. Been a rough month for them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they tame? If they're wild, do they come to your house reliably? If so, just keep an eye on them for 10 days. If they're still alive after 10 days, then you know they aren't transmitting rabies now. If any of them die mysteriously or disappear within 10 days, call your doctor.

If you report it or get medical attention now, they'll definitely be put down. Strays don't get another chance like pets do. Not to discourage you from getting medical care if you need it, but just a statement of fact.

Rabies in cats is very very rare in the US and Canada. And since the cat had a reason to be scared and didn't attack unprovoked, there's no reason to believe she has rabies.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is tame. But is scared under certain circumstances. I talked to my dr. He said the cat would die in 10 days if it had rabies. We have had it for 10 days already

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's inside now? That's good. I wouldn't worry.

That wound looks like a back claw caught you while she was trying to get away. Claws are less likely than bites to get infected. So I think everything should be fine :D.

But of course she still needs to get to the vet eventually. I suppose she'd be too scared to be lured into the carrier using food. Some good leather gloves would probably be a smart idea. I have these for wild cat handling:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's inside now? That's good. I wouldn't worry.

That wound looks like a back claw caught you while she was trying to get away. Claws are less likely than bites to get infected. So I think everything should be fine :D.

But of course she still needs to get to the vet eventually. I suppose she'd be too scared to be lured into the carrier using food. Some good leather gloves would probably be a smart idea. I have these for wild cat handling:

The more i thought about it. Thats what i was thinking. As i was pushing her into the carrier. Im not skilled at this and wish i would have thought about putting towel her first.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have had her ten days without any issues, the small chance just became minuscule. I would be more concerned about infection or cat scratch fever. If your arm swells, hurts, or feels hot, or if you get a headache, fatigue, run a fever, or have body aches, you should get to your doctor, urgent care, or the ER. I let mine go for a couple of days and it was miserable!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes im getting nervous. Getting a red circle And my arm does feel sore. My dr gave me a prescription. I think i should fill it :/

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your doctor gave you a medication, you should take it. Cat bites and scratches can get infected easily.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ya he said to wait and see if it starts to get red and swollen.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm assuming he prescribed an antibiotic (I was always prescribed Augumentin for my cat bite infections). You should definitely get it filled as soon as possible. The antibiotic will clear it up quickly. There hasn't been a case of cat to human transmission of rabies in the US in decades, so I wouldn't give that a second thought. Just be sure to wear thick gloves and long sleeves next time you have to handle her. I've gotten bitten by cats three times, and all times it got infected, but a course of antibiotics took care of it.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes thats what they gave me. I will go in the morning or maybe drive in tonight did your arm get sore and stiff? Its starting to bother me already :(

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really should go get it filled and start taking it as soon as possible. Tonight.

Yes, my hand and entire arm were swollen and painful by the time I went. I would not recommend waiting.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think i will head to walmart . Otherwise i will regret it when they close