- cmp
- tsh
- free t3
- free t4
- thyroid antibody
- fasting cortisol
- lipid level"

.. and then in the bottom corner he wrote:

"Dx tachycardia" (well duh, I was freaking out) "? hyper/hypo F/H of hashimoto thyroiditis"
Well, at least he did something right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well mostly...

After I fought with him about the thyroid antibody test I got home and found out there were TWO thyroid antibody tests I needed - thyroid peroxidase antibodies and antithyroglobulin antibodies....either one can signal Hashis
It turns out since he only wrote "thyroid antibody" the lab will pick which one they usually do, so I'll only get one or the other.

But hopefully this will be at least enough to get me to a good doctor.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Well, I guess we know why that so-called doctor had a cancellation, don't we?

Sheesh, I am so sorry... I've been there too, a couple of times, and I don't know how a doctor gets so stuck on himself that he actually resents a patient doing some research on his own blasted health situation! Any doctor who resents that, or feels threatened by it, doesn't deserve the degree.
I've lived in four different states and have had so many cruddy doctors I can't even count them on my fingers AND toes... I will say this: I had a GP in Chicago who was bloody amazing. If anyone in the Chicago area needs a new GP/Internal Med doc, PM me, seriously. She listened, cared, the whole nine yards.

If I were you, I'd try to find a female doc... if possible. At least for your GP, if/when you switch. Most of them tend to be a bit more caring. This doc back in Chicago always remembered things I'd done to need medical care... usually calling me her 'little troublemaker'... my last visit with her, she had an intern shadowing her... I told the girl, right in front of my doc, to listen to what she says, pay attention to her level of care, that docs like her are rare and to strive for the type of doc my doc is. I hope she listened...

One idea, this being how I found my current doc (not as good as the Chicago doc, but not bad either), was I found an amazing dentist... like the office, the people, etc... I asked who they'd recommend. Nearly everyone in the office goes to this lady. She's good... not as warm as my Chicago doc, but still very good.

Things will work out, really... finding good doctors is kinda like dating nowadays.. you have to weed through the bad ones to find the gems... good luck on the tests!

Amanda

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How horrible! You should bring a complaint to your State medical board about this jerk (after you get the results of course). Just because a person does research prior to a consultation does not give a doc the right to berate them like that. IMO - I think he thought that you were "self-diagnosising" which most doctors hate. But since they never want to give people the time of day, a person's best protection is to research and advocate for themselves!

Good luck.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

How horrible! You should bring a complaint to your State medical board about this jerk (after you get the results of course). Just because a person does research prior to a consultation does not give a doc the right to berate them like that. IMO - I think he thought that you were "self-diagnosising" which most doctors hate. But since they never want to give people the time of day, a person's best protection is to research and advocate for themselves!

Good luck.
I probably will... but after I get the results back and move on to someone else.

DH said the same thing about self diagnosing.. but if the doc had let me finish a sentence he would have known that three other docs had said hypothyroidisim, so I looked up the symptoms based on three other MDs. I was just bringing the list of symptoms in so I could show him what I had (which was all of them
) I mean sure it could be something else... unlikely, but stil... even if it was something else you would think he would still want to know what my symptoms were.

I really need to find another doctor who understands that I do research before I show up just because doctors scare the heck out of me and the prior research calms me down. Somehow it eases the mind to know that it *could be* (not 'absolutely IS') hypothyroid... or a cold.. or something minor instead of just going into his office knowing nothing and waiting for him to say 'cancer', ya know? Now the problem is finding a doctor like that... I don't know how and don't know anyone I could get a referral from... but I'm working on it.

BTW: has anyone ever had any luck with www.ratemds.com ?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know... now that I think of it...I need a doctor like my vet. If I do prior research for my dogs/cats/fish/etc, the vets think it's SO cool that I took an active interest. Hmm... do you think they'd be able to give a recommendation?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A decent doctor won't feel threatened if you have done research on your own. After all, they aren't gods. A good doctor will listen, and work with you to try to figure out the problem(s).

After all, you know better than your doctor what's going on with your body. There needs to be a partnership, IMO.