OMG... I Have Shingles!

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 54, & just found out the diagnosis yesterday after 48 hours of unexplained burning blisters/swelling popped up all on my left side of groin & back. Went to clinic & sure enough, 2 doctors concurred I had it! Feel like have all over flu aches, & the rash is unbelievably tender & stinging.
Was given Rx for Zovirax to be taken 2 tablets every 4 hours, 5x a day. Vicodin for pain. Can't fill scripts til later this morning, so for getting thru last night was reading 100% aloe vera gel to put on the lesions is safe & reduces the burning sensations. It's helped reduce the pain enough to at least not rip off all my clothes, unable to stand any contact with my skin!

Anyone else been thru this experience of Shingles? Know any close realitive who did & how long it lasted with them? Would like to hear how others have dealt with the pain & duration.... Thanks!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry..

Take the pain meds.. Shingles is really painful but if you take the meds before you get into really bad pain they are far more effective, and I truly think we heal better when we're not dealing with awful pain.

Shingles can be stress related, so lots of soothing stuff and rest.  No worries... take the time out to heal.

I don't know how long you'll have it, but lots of
and I hope it's over soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Mani. They told me this can last at least 2 weeks. I called in to my home healthcare agency to let them know, & they don't want me around patients until like the 18th at soonest. So I'm gonna have some days off to recoop- & hope my finances can take the hit... :(

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poor you!  I haven't had it but know plenty who have - most before they prescribed antivirals routinely.  They make a huge difference esp if you can start taking them within 72 hours of it starting.  They should reduce your pain as well as shorten the duration.  

Someone I work with had it a few weeks ago: she felt almost completely better within 10 days and was back at work!  

The rotten flu symptoms don't last as long as the rash and pain as far as I know, but look after yourself, and get as much TLC from everyone around you too as you want to build your self up and fight it off.  Like Mani says, it can be a sign of stress, or a message that you've been run down....  The duration varies from person to person but taking the anitvirals ASAP, resting and boosting your immune system, (and doing anything you can to try and take your mind off the pain) will help.  If you still struggle with the pain taking the Vicodin ask your GP if there's anything else they can prescribe: sometimes they use other types of medication e.g. that work on neurotransmitters, because of how the virus works.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two weeks is about right. The antivirals help! I tried aloe but it didn't help me. Oatmeal/Aveeno really helped me.

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two weeks is about right. The antivirals help! I tried aloe but it didn't help me. Oatmeal/Aveeno really helped me.
Are you talking about soap or some other OTC lotion? Let me know specifically in case the aloe doesn't work so great after awhile. I heard calamine & Vagisil known to stop surface pain.... the more options I can try, the better!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bath powder. Actually, if you have some old stockings you can put regular oatmeal in the toe and tie it off, then use that like a bar of soap! Or if you have a blender that will grind the oatmeal fine enough,grind it and throw it in the bath water.

Nothing really seems to work long term.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been going thru hell for almost two weeks now with Shingles.  I have been in a lot of pain and am on pills for the pain but so far they are  not helping at all.  I don't have any blisters just a rash on the right side of my back and chest and it's really painful.  I read that it could last 4 to 6 weeks. 

I have had Shingles before within the last 3 to 4 years so I knew what it was when I felt that familiar pain.  When i say I feel your pain, I mean it.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, you poor thing!  I've never had shingles myself, but my Mom has had them 3 different times, so I know a bit of what you're going through.  Even though I'm technically not at the age to get the shingles vaccine,  I insisted on one last year.  My husband was about to start chemo, and I wasn't taking any chances.  Hopefully, I'll never have to experience this.  I hope the pain meds bring you some relief!

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been going thru hell for almost two weeks now with Shingles.  I have been in a lot of pain and am on pills for the pain but so far they are  not helping at all.  I don't have any blisters just a rash on the right side of my back and chest and it's really painful.  I read that it could last 4 to 6 weeks. 

I have had Shingles before within the last 3 to 4 years so I knew what it was when I felt that familiar pain.  When i say I feel your pain, I mean it.
Wow, and they say it should only happen once if you get it?? So sorry to hear you aren't getting any relief! Have you tried aloe vera gel or calamine lotion yet? Is your pain more at the surface, or down deep to the bones, as well? (I have both)

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, and they say it should only happen once if you get it?? So sorry to hear you aren't getting any relief! Have you tried aloe vera gel or calamine lotion yet? Is your pain more at the surface, or down deep to the bones, as well? (I have both)
I have severe pain, it feels like I was shot in the back and the bullet came thru my chest.  Of course I've never been shot but that's what it feels like.  It also feels like someone holding a candle or lit cigarette to  my chest and back, it is really bad.  I have not used any type of lotion or gel.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had shingles twice. And yes, since bones are highly innervated you can have bone pain.

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
((hug)) @ LaRussa... we will get thru this some how... maybe try asking your doc for a different pain med? Are you on any anti-virals?

@Peaches08:

Wow, so I will probably get it more than once... just picture it. Nobody should have to go thru this to begin with. Already is as bad as the pain I remember, right after major back surgery!

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
((hug)) @ LaRussa... we will get thru this some how... maybe try asking your doc for a different pain med? Are you on any anti-virals?

@Peaches08:

Wow, so I will probably get it more than once... just picture it. Nobody should have to go thru this to begin with. Already is as bad as the pain I remember, right after major back surgery!
Yes I am on an anti viral med but it doesn't seem to help just yet.  My immune system is very low, that is probably why I got this again.  I just am not able to fight things off very easily.  Hope we both get over this soon, ((hugs)) to you also.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of you guys, it sounds like you have really severe pain and got Shingles pretty badly.  I hope you manage to get something better to help control the pain, and the antivirals shift it soon. 

I hope you have friends or family to help you and your cats out so you can get all the rest and care you need. ​ 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quarantine yourself. If you have blisters you are contagious and can give the virus to someone who has not had chicken pox, causing them to get chicken pox.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got up and found that the back of my neck under my hair was red.and sore so I took a hand mirror to look at it and I think I may have the shingles again. I'm calling the doctor in the morning.

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that... if you find out it IS shingles, you should be put on Acyclovir right away. It really is affective at stopping the spread & duration!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I got up and found that the back of my neck under my hair was red.and sore so I took a hand mirror to look at it and I think I may have the shingles again. I'm calling the doctor in the morning.
Oh, hope not for your sake but definitely get the antivirals started quickly if the doc says it is.