OMG I got a SS Gift ALREADY!!!! Received Thread 2011

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry I havent got any pictures I'm kinda in the middle of packing atm

But I can't thank Tara enough nail varnish is amazing and the chocolate was and still is yummy

I have the A hanging up on my door and all three cats loved the toys, my mam not so much because smooch loves the ones that have the tinsel stuff on them and Rips the to bits but he has fun that's the main thing, flash and sooty love their toys to I've held some back so when we move I can use them to rake their mind off everything and just play :D

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please give me clues!
It's not too hard.  Look at the list of recipients and senders.  There are very few that aren't on both side, now.  Then, if that doesn't do it, look back a few pages; I know the person I think sent yours posted that they were worried that it hadn't been received yet.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not too hard.  Look at the list of recipients and senders.  There are very few that aren't on both side, now.  Then, if that doesn't do it, look back a few pages; I know the person I think sent yours posted that they were worried that it hadn't been received yet.
Yes, I did but a few did not post in the list like Jessy (did her SS send her a gift?). I am lousy when it comes to games of deduction, comes with age I guess. 
 It's okay. Is there a time limit to guessing who is who in the SS game?

Last edited:

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, no time limit, but if you are really wondering and can't figure it out, you can enlist the help of the snoopers or the mods who picked names, that they may pm your santa and ask if they want to give you clues or out themselves! :lol3:

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I am really bummed. My recipient never acknowledged she got the package. I know a notice was left and if not picked up in 15 days it was to be returned. That is the last I know of it. I never received it back, (it was delivered before Christmas). I don't know if someone stole it or if she got it or what. I am disappointed since I worked hard putting it together. I wish I had taken a picture of the little jewel box with the shells on top that I got specifically for the Secret Santa.

Well, this isn't going to put me off participating. I just wanted to let everyone know that I did send it.  I have been in touch from the beginning with katiemae1277 from the beginning of this fiasco.

I just am very disappointed about all of this and just a little bit hurt.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I am really bummed. My recipient never acknowledged she got the package. I know a notice was left and if not picked up in 15 days it was to be returned. That is the last I know of it. I never received it back, (it was delivered before Christmas). I don't know if someone stole it or if she got it or what. I am disappointed since I worked hard putting it together. I wish I had taken a picture of the little jewel box with the shells on top that I got specifically for the Secret Santa.

Well, this isn't going to put me off participating. I just wanted to let everyone know that I did send it.  I have been in touch from the beginning with katiemae1277 from the beginning of this fiasco.

Aww, hun, I kind of know how you feel. I do know that my SS received her package, because I asked Katie to ask her, but unfortunately she never took the time to find out who sent it. She hasn't been on for months, either. Luckily I know that she did like the things I sent! :hugs:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, this isn't going to put me off participating.
That's the spirit! 

It happened to me in the 2010 SS so I know how you feel. Though I did find out the reason for the non-acknowledgement and it was a shocker. Hope it is not the same for you. 

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the spirit! 

It happened to me in the 2010 SS so I know how you feel. Though I did find out the reason for the non-acknowledgement and it was a shocker. Hope it is not the same for you. 

I think I remember that. It was a shocker but the same thing is not happening here. My recipient has been on the site within the past 2 weeks.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had a similar experience, and it completely put me off the whole SS thing.

I partipated a few times.  The last year I did, I was really into the excitement of it all. The first 2 times were great experiences, s much so that I literally started shopping right after Christmas for the next year, the 3rd (and final) time!!!  The 3rd time I was paired up with was someone I'd never heard of before and when I searched I discovered that they came and went for weeks and months at a time. I was disappointed to find that out and I got a bit of a bad feeling about it and even thought to ask to change who I had been paired up with.

I was so excited to send my parcel and I paid additional shipping costs to make sure it arrived Express mail so that I could track where it was and make sure that it arrived at its destination.

I knew when the parcel was delivered (early December), but it was weeks (after Christmas) before the person even acknowledged receipt.  And all they said was 1 short sentence about having received their SS gift and listed 3 or 4 things out of the dozens that I had sent. They didn't post pictures (I knew they had a camera because they had posted pics of their cats), and they didn't even try to figure out who their SS was.  And then they disappeared again for weeks more. I finally posted in the list of SS and recipients who I had been paired up with.

That year several people did not receive gifts from their SS and I often wonder if the person I had been paired up with was one of the ones who didn't send their gifts.  To me it just seemed that they reappeared on the boards in time to sign up for SS and then vanished again.

I was so disappointed and my feelings were hurt. I decided to not participate anymore

I think the idea behind SS is a good one.  And like I said, the first 2 times I signed up, I had a great experience, largely because the people I sent to were active posters and seemed thrilled with what I had sent (even if maybe they weren't).  But to me it is the giving that means so much. Getting gifts is great, but what makes me the happiest is giving them and seeing/hearing people's reactions. 

As tough as some think the rules are for participating in SS, IMHO they aren't tough enough.  Aside from having to be a member for a certain period of time, I think people need to be active posters too, or at least active within a set period of time at the time SS sign up comes along.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the SS exchange is a wonderful idea and thankfully the majority of people participating enjoy it and have fun. I've had a lot of fun in the past snooping and shopping and waiting for the present to arrive. Not to mention the lovely gifts I've received from Santas too. Pushkin still plays with one toy he received almost every night. It's his special toy!
It's unfortunate that people do have bad experiences though. I know I've been extremely disappointed myself by the near non-reaction of a couple of my recipients and it really does put you off. To put so much time and effort into something and then a grudging acknowledgment and no photos or further posts is a bummer. I participated thinking this would really help members get to know one another and I wanted to be a part of that fun.
On the whole though, I do think the SS exchange is a worthwhile thing and does help foster a sense of belonging to this community. As long as people approach it a fun event and not go overboard competing for a wow factor, which I feel some people do. These things can so easily turn into a kind of competition. And of course the internet is a place that rife with scammers, so I'm not surprised that some people have abused the generosity of other members.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thankfully I have had a blast both years I have participated, nothing but positive experiences. I don't think I'd ever let one bad experience put me off though...but I can absolutely understand how upsetting it would be to put so much work into something to not have it properly acknowledged. I love SS so much that I think we should have a Christmas in July exchange!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully I have had a blast both years I have participated, nothing but positive experiences. I don't think I'd ever let one bad experience put me off though...but I can absolutely understand how upsetting it would be to put so much work into something to not have it properly acknowledged. I love SS so much that I think we should have a Christmas in July exchange!

My first two times were great. It is just this last time where my gift wasn't acknowledged. I checked the tracking and it still says a notice was left. I am not going to let one person sour me on participating.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very unfortunate that Meda and others have had a disappointing experience, but that's the nature of the internet I suppose. We have made our rules stricter over the last couple years and there are still folks who, for one reason or another, don't follow through, or that have life interfere, or whatever it is. There are many members that will be crazy active and then just disappear, and even long long long term members move on suddenly. I'm glad this will not prevent you from participating, Meda, because really, if you quit things after one bad experience, would any of us being doing anything? This year was especially rough because of the host switch and general post office shenanigans plus me basically handling the whole sha-bang on my own- let me tell you, wrangling 40+ Secret Santas from all over the world is a full time job :lol3: I will not let it deter me tho! I will continue to be your SS coordinator, but there will no Christmas in July :bat: :lol3:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It always seems like my recipients disappear, don't post photos, etc.  Maybe I should quit participating so I don't jinx it?  ;)

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ill hold my hands up to being one who doesnt post pictures the last two years Ive had to work on christmas day so makes it very difficult to try and get them before having to rush out, I have however found my pics from when Angie was my SS LOL!!!  I havent had any problems so ill be continuing to participate :)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first two times were great. It is just this last time where my gift wasn't acknowledged. I checked the tracking and it still says a notice was left. I am not going to let one person sour me on participating.
I am glad you are going to stay with it! 

It's very unfortunate that Meda and others have had a disappointing experience, but that's the nature of the internet I suppose. We have made our rules stricter over the last couple years and there are still folks who, for one reason or another, don't follow through, or that have life interfere, or whatever it is. There are many members that will be crazy active and then just disappear, and even long long long term members move on suddenly. I'm glad this will not prevent you from participating, Meda, because really, if you quit things after one bad experience, would any of us being doing anything? This year was especially rough because of the host switch and general post office shenanigans plus me basically handling the whole sha-bang on my own- let me tell you, wrangling 40+ Secret Santas from all over the world is a full time job
I will not let it deter me tho! I will continue to be your SS coordinator, but there will no Christmas in July

Yes, Christmas in July!  Excellent suggestion, Katie! 

Ill hold my hands up to being one who doesnt post pictures the last two years Ive had to work on christmas day so makes it very difficult to try and get them before having to rush out, I have however found my pics from when Angie was my SS LOL!!!  I havent had any problems so ill be continuing to participate :)
I remember sending you a picture of the lovely Speck as a hint to my identity. 

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe if you at first you don't succeed, try, try again. My job is the perfect example. I have been there 12 years this month and have posted for promotion after promotion only to see it go to someone else. They would stay a few months and then leave again. But I was like a dog with a bone. I was very persistent! If I wasn't, I wouldn't have gotten my dream promotion in February. And that one hadn't had a posting for about 8 years. I absolutely love this job. The pay isn't what I would have liked, but it is hourly and not per call.

That being said, I will still participate in SS. And I did love the stuff I got this year from CATTYBIRD even though I wasn't able to post pictures this year. LOL real life got in the way.