OMG , I am so upset

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something I've studied a lot, because we had a neighbor die years ago, despite our efforts to keep him going until the ambulance arrived. Just to clarify for those who might not check the link:

CPR, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, is the one to use when someone has stopped breathing. That's where you press rhythmically on the center of chest or "sternum" (above the xiphoid process*). For infants, you do it only very delicately, with fingertips instead of hands. As someone mentioned, the recommended method for CPR has changed in the past few years, so it's good to get re-trained on it if you can.

The Heimlich Maneuver is the one to use when someone has something stuck in his throat. In this case, you do not press on the sternum, but on the soft abdomen below the sternum (and below the xiphoid process*), with an upward motion to try to expel air (and the stuck object) from the windpipe.

* The xiphoid process is a small bit of cartilage at the lower end of the sternum, and it's fragile -- so you have to be sure you're above it for CPR and below it for the Heimlich.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
P.S. -- Sheesh, I forgot to say, thank goodness your little guy is all right!

And also -- if you're ever alone and get something stuck in your throat, you can do the Heimlich on yourself by standing behind a chair or something -- even a doorknob, if nothing else is available -- and sort of jerking your body downward so the chair back pokes up into your abdomen.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the Heimlich Maneuver on a small child, you do abdominal thrusts as you would an adult, but you kneel down on one knee, and place the child on the other leg to maintain better control.

You are only supposed to hit an infant (1 year or younger) with the palm of your hand, on the back between the shoulder blades while holding them upside down with the other hand if they are choking.

It is not recommended to hit someone who is choking on the back otherwise because by doing so can lodge the object even further down their throat.

I am certified with the Red Cross.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sooooo glad everything turned out OK! How scary!

The first time I was certified in CPR it was from the Red Cross. This last time my work had a company come in and teach CPR and First Aid.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I'm sooooo glad everything turned out OK! How scary!

The first time I was certified in CPR it was from the Red Cross. This last time my work had a company come in and teach CPR and First Aid.
I did that too! The Red Cross is by far the best. The company that came to my old job went through everything WAY too quickly! I'm glad I had previous training, but the gals who didn't had no clue and were completely lost. I will stick with the Red Cross. I had a semester's long class on CPR and First Aid while in college that included the Red Cross certification. I learned SO glad I took it!