Omg! He peed on me!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

You're not doing anything wrong. Probably, God gave you a special gift for caring for kitties with anxiety issues. He gave me a gift for caring for cats who are crazy!
I love this take on the situation!

Never underestimate the power of Feliway. So glad to hear Charlie isn't "sick" though being a person who's suffered from a lot of anxiety I call that being sick as well. It sounds like you've got a great vet. Saying prayers for you and the kitties.
I'm just piping in - it's worth giving the flower essences a try too.

That's great about Cleo! You'll find what works for everyone. We've a policy in my house: Once you're in, you're in. And everyone is expected to work together toward that end. We've overcome a lot that way and it's been so worth it! My cats are a blessing to me.
We have the exact same policy. We worked with a lot of ferals/fosters the first few years, and we kept all the sick/issue/hard-to-adopt kitties. We live in a very small space - and I don't know how many times they all got told - this is a homeless kitty, just like you were, and (he/she) is here for good (or for a little while if a foster), so you'd better just deal with it!
Of course we did what we needed to do to make it work - but we've always had that attitude that they're part of what goes on with all of "us."

Now that you understand the problem - and have lots of ideas for new things to try - I'm sure you'll find ways to make it work for all of you, because you know how to "listen" to your kitties.

atinaaquitane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I own an orange tabby. I have been rasing him since he was a baby and he's a year old now. He isn't neutered and his has all his claws. I keep him home, he's not an outside cat. He's always well groomed and I even brush his teeth. I know he's happy because he tells me all the time. I have long hair and today as I kneeled down to approach him I beleive he sprayed on my hair. He's never sprayed anywhere else in the home before and he's never done this before. He turned a year old this month. And he is the only territorial ruler here other than me. I was wondering if this incident today means that he is marking his territory on me. I think its funny... I washed my hair out and it's fine now, but I just thinks that's too much. His dispplay of affection sometimes is tremendous. Hehe

What do you think about my cat spraying on my hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'd get him neutered ASAP! Lol.

I must admit, I thought it very sweet that my baby feels so close to me that he gets anxious when I leave, but I HATE it that he gets anxious when I leave. I want my cats to be happy and healthy 24/7, no matter where I am.

I think that you're exactly right; your tom is letting all the other toms know that you belong to him. Flattering, yes, but having an intact male is, in my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen. First, it's your hair (bless you for being so accepting!)...but soon it will be your clothes, your furniture, your walls- and he'll start trying to get outside to mate. Knowing that you raised this little love, I can't imagine that it wouldn't absolutely break your heart if he were to escape.

If you're not planning on breeding him, I'd strongly suggest neutering him. Otherwise, he (and you) will be going through a whole lot of unnecessary stress.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your orange tabby is spraying to mark his territory because he is not neutered. iheartstrays is right - he needs to be neutered, and as soon as possible. He has "come of age," and is marking his territory. This behavior will continue until he is neutered. Then the hormones will leave his system, and the urge to mark will go away.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

This behavior will continue until he is neutered. Then the hormones will leave his system, and the urge to mark will go away.
That's true unless you wait several years. If you don't neuter them while they are young they retain the knowledge of how to spray and may continue to do so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That's true unless you wait several years. If you don't neuter them while they are young they retain the knowledge of how to spray and may continue to do so.
That's absolutely right, howtoholdacat. As you can see, AtinaAquitane, you have an actual problem on your hands, and not just a flattering display of affection. Please have your kitty neutered as soon as possible to prevent any future behavioral issues that could result in him being deemed "too destructive" for your home.

He's no longer your little baby. Think of him now as a sex-crazed teenager (you know the type, sexual euphemisms around every corner, an unbecoming and ungentlemanly obsession with the fairer sex). This is what your baby boy is now, and if you do nothing to correct these issues, this is how he will stay and it will only get worse.