OMG GUYS!!!! Snowwhite tested + for fiv!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by krazy kat2
I am so sorry to hear you are going through this!
This is my Fred's story, I hope it will make you feel better. When my sister introduced a Feleuk+ cat into my household after she swore it had been tested and everything was fine, I had Fred, Pearl, and Leo tested. Unfortunately Leo contracted leukemia and has gone to the Bridge. Fred tested positive for FIV, Pearl had a clean bill of health. I rescued Georgia out of the road shortly after that, and had no choice but to keep her, otherwise it was a kill shelter. I have had Georgia and Pearl tested regularly, they are still fine as of 2 weeks ago. Fred is still kicking, and is a happy, fairly healthy 14 year old cat. All this happened nearly 3 years ago. The vet told me that since Fred is not a biter, the girls will likely be ok. Fred has lived to a ripe old age, with a few mishaps along the way. At this point, every day I have him is a blessing, and would be at his age, even if he weren't FIV+.
I know it is easier said than done, but try not to stress too hard until you know the results. They can live just fine with FIV, and not pass it along. We are all praying for you and your babies.
This does make me feel better. Snowwhite is a smacker but not a biter. She bops the kittens and other cats that get to hyper around her on the head often but I have never seen her bite anyone. She is just a good momma cat and is very layed back.
I know that bonnie, sebastion & trinty haven't been around her at all and have been around the kittens very little. Moe and Neo both have spent some time with her and the babies but they never got bit by her. Hopefully everything will be okay.

rock&fluff'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Val, I am just reading this and I just want you to know that I don't know much about FIV, but I have heard that they can live long happy lives as well as a cat that is FIV negative....((hugs)) please keep us posted on Snow and the gang ok?...I am sorry you are having to deal with this..

auroraviva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Val -- I'm just reading this. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I know it must be hard on you, since you care so much for your babies. Luna and I are sending good vibes to you and your kitties. I hope everything works out OK, and no one else has gotten FIV!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Val - I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I went thru what you are going thru 6 weeks ago when 3 of my 13 cats tested positive to FeLV. I lost 2 of the babies (kittens) and placed my 3 year old Ruby in quarantine until my emotions settled down enough to think thru the situation more clearly. Like Meow Meow, Ruby is showing no physical symptoms and I cannot conceive of putting him to sleep over this.

I researched my options thoroughly and asked for opinions from folks on the catsite. I called universities and vets that specialize in cats. Tuxedocats offered a few links (Best Friends and Cornell University) that have some of the best information out their on FeLV/FIV. Get fully informed on your options and sleep on it for a few weeks before you make any decision. If you are like me, you are too emotional right now to make any long term call (I've lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks fretting over it).

FIV has been around for a long time and many households had mixed FIV positives and negatives for years without knowing it. The FIV test is only recent and can give both false positives and false negatives. Just remember, FIV is not a death sentence for Meow Meow. A lot of folks will take chances with FIV where they won't with FeLV, so that tells you it may not be as bad as what you first fear.

I will e-mail some additional information that I received from Best Friends in Utah on tips to adopt out special needs cats. Please read thru it if you come to that conclusion.

(((***hugs***)))

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Val, I haven't been around the past few days (well - almost all week). I'm so so sorry to hear about this. You must be devastated.

I'm sure you're doing your research, along with all the wonderful help of all these wonderful people.

I was just wondering... how'd it go? You must have gotten the results back by now.... ???

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't realize there was a new thread either!!!! I am so happy to hear the tests were negative!!!! I will go check out the new thread!!!