Omega-3 Supplements for Cats??

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I supplement the fish oil since that is what both recipes call for. I use fish oil from smaller fish in hopes of reducing mercury content.

thommyzmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MaraOzza, you were on the money with the Maryland Study!  I too am going to post it because this question really depends on the individual cat.  I have a diabetic cat caused by Depo Medrol steroid use while attempted pain control for the autoimmune disorder Stomatitis.  He started the stomatitis journey with an enlarged heart so when you read this article, you can see the fine line we walk I his Omega-3 supplement.

Specifically, I needed to get away from the harsh systemic drugs used to control his pain and inflammation.  I started him on Omegas to reduce inflammation, naturally enhance his volatile immune system, and improve his overall skin condition (not just his mouth and mouth pain).  Because eating is difficult and fish is usually salty, his diet does not provide for the nutrients he needs.  But with his enlarged heart and April 29 blood work showing low platelets - I don't dose everyday due to the risk of bleeding.

His blood sugar definitely went up, I could tell on day two even before testing him.  In an uncompromised cat, I would not worry as much  but the dose needs to range around 120/70mg (EPA/DHA) range with Vitamin E needed for bioavailability.  ONLY BUY A PURIFIED OIL, over the counter human formulas include A & D, both of which can easily become stored to toxic levels as those fat solubles can in humans.  They also require taking more for the same concentration as purified.  The addition of Vitamin A is a another no-no in diabetic cat. 

There was an abundance of Omega 6's is his diet leading up to his diagnosis, the 6's actually promote inflammation.  Cat food is loaded with it (dry) which he ate mostly before having his teeth removed to combat the stomatitis.  He still eats dry- when you have a cat that you struggle with daily to eat - yes, I let him have whatever it is he will eat some days.

This study that Mara previously listed and I am still going to has many facets - diseases where you may find you might need to tailor your dosage around!!!!!!

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/omega3-fatty-acids

Thanks for all you guys do for our felines!!

Trish and Thomas J.