Olly Turned

rach&olly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi as some of you know im really new to this whole owning a cat thing Olly is our first cat.

He is now 14 weeks the couple of days he seems to have completly changed personality and gone from the sweet playful boy to an outrite pshyco that yyou cant even pet without him going for you. for example this evening i sat on the floor to give him a stroke and he got hiis claws either side of my leg and went to bite me im so worrid hes gonna gget one of the kids..

he literally just looks like hes constantly gonna pounce so ive stopped the kids petting himm at the moment and just playing with him with him feather on a stick toy which when he gets he literally looks like he is gnna kill.

i understand that he is a baby and is playful but this is more than playfull i think

any help much appreciated??

also he cant seem to move across you withougt getting his claws out and scrathing my leg up!!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is 100% normal kitten behavior. When kittens get overstimulated, they start clawing and biting. That is a common problem with cats, they don't want to be touched once they have been overstimulated and they will bite and claw to show it.

Also, a kitten that young is just learning what claws are for and how to use them. That explains why he cant move across you without clawing.

He needs to have his energy sapped constantly, as kitten are basically pure bundles of energy. Play with him at least half an houra day and he will calm down a bit. You should strap yourself in, because from 3 - 6 months they are holy terrors.

punkypurrbottom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take an adult sized sock, cut an oblong piece of cardboard to fit in it, then stuff on both sides of the piece of cardboard til it's packed pretty well and sprinkle in some cat nip, then sew the top of the sock over and throw to the kitten.

They'll attack it and bite it and rabbit kick it and take all their aggressions out on the sock and not you and then get all mellowed out from the cat nip.

Good luck with your crazy kitten. Ours is getting insane too.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you look at the chart for cat ages, a kitten your cats age is the same as prob a 2 year old child. If not younger.Try to keep a child that age quiet.

This is what they do. Keep his claws trimmed, being aware of the "quick". Do not cut into that. It is painful and will bleed.

Play and play and play with him. Tire him out. With littermates, they help eachother expend the energy. Like it or not, you are the littermates now.

He is a normal little kitten who needs direction and love and play. I hope you can provide it for him. You will have a good friend for many years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rach&olly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you guys for your replies i just spoke to a friendof mine who has cats and shee has pretty much said the same as you all that he is playing and sees us well me mainly as his giant play mate.

i have gone and brought him some more toys today and when i put the kids to bed i literaally gave him about 45 mins play he was going beserk chasing this feather and wrestling it too the floor he has now fallen asleep.

funny you saying hes about a two year old i actually have a two year old boy and as you say try keeping him quiet and entertained haha

one thing i am worried about is i am working next week andwill beout the house from 8.30am - 4pm the longest he will have ever been on his own what can i do so he is well stimulated while im not there.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a cat tree for him? A new cat tree before you're gone could wear him out with all the climbing!