Olivia is sick..very upset here....

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness you know what it is and it can be treated. My two boys had it badly when they arrived (off the streets) but fortunately never passed it on to the others as I had them in isolation for three weeks. They were on Metronidazole for five weeks, then we changed the meds to Doxycillin and then back again! Every time we thought it was clear and stopped the meds, it came back in a day or two. So don't be disheartened. But they were with the other cats after three weeks (adults of course who are more resistant) and no-one else got it. Since then, over four months now, they have been fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jenny for that post - very helpful. Glad to hear the kittys are doing fine now.

Update on kittens

Went to the vet today for a check up. Temperatures of all 5 kittens is normal but 4 of them show loose poopy from the fecal exam - but the vet said its better than Saturday.

They are lively and eating, but the vet says we need to keep a close eye on Olivia particularly. Her 3rd eyelid is still showing slightly and he says that she is bony (although she weighed in at 840g which for a 9 week old kitten I thought was quite good?).

Olivia's litter mate

I had a bit of a 'heated discussion' with my friend that gave me Olivia today. Olivia's brother has the same symptoms..the mum is also probably harbouring the illness. My friend told me that she had vaccinated the mum cat when I first got Olivia..as she was my friend, I didn't ask to see the certificate...the mum cat did look healthy and beautiful. Today I found out that by that she meant she gave the cat its first injections as a kitten and has not kept up with booster injections. Furthermore she says she cannot afford to get Olivia's brother and mum seen at the vet and she is hoping that Olivia's brothers' new owners (she is still looking for a forever home for him) will deal with it. I told her this is irresponsible and she did not like that. I told her the vet's response to my question "what they have - can it be fatal?" (vet's reply was with young kittens anything can happen as we don't know the state of their immune system..on the positive they are eating, lively and 8-9 weeks old and making progress). The possibility that it could be fatal (although unlikely I hope to god!!!) jolted her and she says that she will look into going to the vet.

Without sounding heartless, I am paying for vet appointments for 5 kittens (three appointments so far this week!) and medication for 7 cats althogether. I want to know that Olivia's brother is ok, but feel my financial responsibilty is limited to my 7.

My cats are insured but the kitten's policy takes effect from when they are 8 weeks old (my original 4 are 7 weeks) and claims within the 1st 14 days are excluded! Olivia's policy is only 5 days old. So with me paying for everything, I'm not comfortable paying for treatment for a cat that is not mine. However, it breaks my heart to see Olivia's brother (he's so beautiful) untreated. If she doesn't take him in for treatment, I will talk to my vet or tell my friend that she could perhaps contact the RSPCA for help (though I bet it will be me doing it in the end!).

GSE & Panacur

I am going to buy some grapefruit seed extract tomorrow - I read about that in the health forum posts. I have a cat-it water fountain - how many drops do you recommend I put in it?

I also found a well-known UK online petstore that sells panacur. I've ordered some for future use if the metronidazole doesn't work. Its cheaper than the vet's medication.

Please get well soon my little munchkins

My 5 babies are all asleep in the cat tree. I hope they know how much their meowmy loves them.

I have not isolated Olivia - vet said its ok as she responding to treatment, does not have a temperature and is eating and lively. On Wednesday - next appointment, he wants all of them to have firm stool and Olivia's 3rd eye not showing. Otherwise he says, we need to take further action.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ps - sorry about the long post.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's thorough! We love details!

Glad to hear there's improvement. I'm sorry to hear of your friend's perspective on the whole vet thing. It's very unfortunate, and I'll pray for her to do the right thing by her pets.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please do not feel guilty about not being able to help Oliva's brother, seven cats is enough. Hope her third eye is better. sorry all are infected. Keep us updated!!