oldie but goodie - best cat litter for odor control?

maxysmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
new guy came trained on world's best clumping, but that stuff STINKS.  also, maxy has atomic poops, so it's just a horrible mix.  he's got a top-entry box in our only bathroom, so we really need litter with good odor control.  previous kitty was using feline pine, which was pretty good, but looking for something with super-atomic-poop-covering powers.  we've had issues with the world's best tracking on the floor.  also, it does NOT last a month!  maybe 10 days if we're lucky.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm...  Not what you asked; but I wonder if food is part of the issue with his very smelly poops?  Is he on the same food he was on before you got him?  That might be something to look into along with the litter.  There are some very knowledgeable folks who hang around the Nutrition forum also.

We have a Littermaid box so we have to stick with a clumping litter.  I like that it scoops after every use; so even when they don't bury it, it's scooped into the bin within a few minutes.  We are currently using Tidy Cat's Immediate Odor control.  

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm....I use Worlds Best.....and there is no smell at all.  Maybe you are using one of the scented varieties?  

As suggested above.....food may be increasing the smelly poop.   I used to feed a high quality grain free canned food....good stuff, but the poop smelled awful.  Since switching to a raw diet.....there is literally no smell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxysmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, same food he "came with."  We've been thinking about switching to reduce poop odor.  We're super good about scooping right after he does his business!  Previous kitty also had stinky poops, but different food.  We have a small city apartment, so odors travel :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxysmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's on grain free diet.  Have never done raw, but it's something to consider.  Difficult to shop in city, so we mostly have food delivered - raw might be a challenge!