Oldest And Newest Items In Your Kitchen

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thought this might get some interesting answers and pictures. So I will go first. The oldest item is a butter churn given to me by my grandmother. The newest item is a cheese grater given to me at Christmas by my husband. It is a neat gadget because it has a plastic bin in the middle that collects the cheese regardless of which side of the grater you use.

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any pictures, but...
The oldest item is the stove. It came with the house.
Newest item are rubber spatulas. The packrats keep eating them. I swear, the packrats search the entire house just to find my rubber baking spatulas.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
The oldest is a plain wire cake tester from the 1940s that belonged to my mom. I get nuts if I can't find it.

The newest is a Cuisinart 14 cup food processor that replaces one that had both the work bowl and the top disintegrate at once (probably Harrigan's doing). Cuisinart didn't have replacements even though it was only a few years old.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The oldest is the trash can I brought when I first moved into the house 25 years ago. The newest is a wall clock I brought last week when my old one stopped running. I also brought that 25 years ago. Who says Walmart stuff don't last.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, wow, I have to think. Probably the oldest item in the kitchen would be a toss-up between my great-grandmother's hutch and her wooden rolling pin. The hutch is in two pieces; my great-grandfather made the bottom first, then several years later, he made the top. She had had that rolling pin forever; it was her only rolling pin (and I think my great-grandfather made that, too).

Our toaster is probably the newest thing in the kitchen; we bought it last year.

Neat question!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good answers everyone. Please post some pictures of your items.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I saw the title of this thread I thought you meant old, outdated kitchen vs new, renovated kitchen. :doh: I have plenty of old items like the appliances and the wallpaper, lol. However, regarding actual items the oldest would be an antique canister set and coffee grinder. The newest would be two eco frying pans.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The oldest thing would be one of those decorative heating grates they used to put in the floors to let the heat upstairs. It's from my parent house and I'm pretty sure it was original to the house so that would be somewhere around 1900ish. I have it above the cupboards in my kitchen. The newest would be a Mr. Coffee I bought a few months back. I didn't take a photo of the coffee maker cause the glass carafe hasn't been washed in awhile.....well to be honest.....it has probably never been washed...lol
010.jpg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oldest might be the few pieces of Farberware I have from my mom. I can't stand the thought of getting rid of them. I'm sure they are close to my age, several decades minimum. That and several other kitchen items that belonged to my parents.
Newest is the Instant Pot.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The oldest thing I have is either a pasta canister that my mother always had in the kitchen (I use it for decoration only) or the nut grinder type thing. I don't know exactly what it's called. It's got a glass jar at the bottom and the top is metal with a handle you turn. It was painted orange but it's lost a bit. I keep that in my china cabinet.

I do have a small glass bottle I found in my grandparent's basement. I have no idea how old it is. It's just interesting to look at. I think it originally had some honey in it; but it's not very big.

I wish I had either my grandma's rolling pin or her measuring spoons we always baked with. I'm not sure who got those when we sold the house. But those are the 2 things I associate with my childhood in Grandma's kitchen. They'd be in use too; not just decoration like the other things. ;)

The newest thing I have is my pizzelle iron. :yummy: I got that just before Christmas.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The oldest thing would be one of those decorative heating grates they used to put in the floors to let the heat upstairs. It's from my parent house and I'm pretty sure it was original to the house so that would be somewhere around 1900ish. I have it above the cupboards in my kitchen. The newest would be a Mr. Coffee I bought a few months back. I didn't take a photo of the coffee maker cause the glass carafe hasn't been washed in awhile.....well to be honest.....it has probably never been washed...lol
View attachment 213257

We were visiting my hubby's parents. I didn't know not to wash Father-in-law's coffee cup. But I soon found out that was against the rules.

I'm changing my answer. I totally forgot about the knive sharpener that my Great-Grandfather brought with him from Germany back in the 1800's.
View attachment 213272
That is a neat looking gadget. Thank you both for the pictures.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We were visiting my hubby's parents. I didn't know not to wash Father-in-law's coffee cup. But I soon found out that was against the rules.

That is a neat looking gadget. Thank you both for the pictures.
LOL My coffee cup is downright scary too. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
betsygee betsygee Love the silver piece. I read the thread about the instant pot and saw that some of our members are cooking with it since Christmas. Thanks for posting.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was going to say the oldest things were DH and me but then I remembered that I inherited a set of my grandma's
dishes. I've loved them since I was a kid.

The newest would be an air fryer, but I don't have a photo of it.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to say the oldest things were DH and me but then I remembered that I inherited a set of my grandma's
dishes. I've loved them since I was a kid.

The newest would be an air fryer, but I don't have a photo of it.
I have seen this pattern in some thrift stores. What is the name of it. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some silverware from the 20's. They are the oldest items.

The newest item is a spring whisk I recently received as a gift. It looks like this. It works well on eggs for omelets.

31DChGxr02L.jpg