older resident cat a bit too rough?

tubbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
We have 2 cats, female and 1 is 10 months and I just brought home Harmony who will be 3 months next week. They get along great, the big cat even leaves some of her food for Harmony. When they play the older kitty gets excited and looks to play a little rough with Harmony making her squeal sometimes. I have checked her (Harmony) and there are no scratches or bite marks. Is this normal play? Does the older cat know not to get too rough?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the older kitty back off when the kitten squeals?  I would supervise their play time until the kitten is bigger and can "hold her own weight."  Your older cat is still young too; so it might be a good idea to find other toys to divert her attention to when she gets rough.  Things like kickeroos that she can wrestle or wand toys that are just good at distracting them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi,
We have 2 cats, female and 1 is 10 months and I just brought home Harmony who will be 3 months next week. They get along great, the big cat even leaves some of her food for Harmony. When they play the older kitty gets excited and looks to play a little rough with Harmony making her squeal sometimes. I have checked her (Harmony) and there are no scratches or bite marks. Is this normal play? Does the older cat know not to get too rough?
Sounds normal and OK.  It may be also a touch of dominance in that, the older makes sure the younger knowns whom is the alpha cat...

Be somewhat observant, but you need not panic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tubbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the info guys! They're best sisters now :) It is funny how the 10 month old seems so laid back compared to the 3 month old zooming everywhere, loving the cat life. :nod: