Older Kitty With Serious Gi Issues

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all-
I have a 16 year old male kitty that was diagnosed by ultrasound 3 years ago as possible IBD or Small Cell Lymphoma. He had years of chronic constipation.
The vet opted not to do a biopsy or put him on chemo as she leaned towards the IBD diagnosis, nor did we want the risk of anesthesia.
For 3 years he has been on 5m prednisone. Last year he developed seizures 1x month so again we did not want him under anesthesia at his age and with a possible brain tumor (guess) so he has been on Canna Cat and his seizures are fewer are far between now.
However, last week he started crying in pain from the litter pan. He appeared constipated as he was vomiting at the same time as he was pushing. Later we discovered he had very loose stools and he was going on and out of the pain often, while crying and vomiting. I rushed him to the vet where they observed for the day and gave him a single dose of metronidazole of which he vomited. The next day he returned to constipation. And then the following alternating constipation and diarrhea. Today it is all diarrhea and he is vomiting sometimes after the pan. My vet doesn't want me to put him through testing with anesthesia, she is concerned it will add more stress to his upset belly and with the possibility of a brain tumor etc. she said let's treat it as colitis. Having had years of constipation (and a special diet for it that he will no longer eat) and NO dietary changes in 6+ months I can't make sense of the diarrhea/vomit combo. At one point he had a solid still with the diarrhea on the side of it, but not back to straight very golden color (no black/blood) diarrhea. I may try a diet change but he is finicky. He's a high risk kitty and he's still eating and drinking, purring etc. but the litter pan and vomiting is concerning. They did do an X Ray and no blockage or anything but stool in the tract. Thank you so much in advance. I can't bare the thought of him suffering. :(

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That solid poo with diarrhea is still constipation. To help with that I would suggest 1/8th tsp of miralax in his wet food twice a day. That's what I have my kitty on and so far he hasn't had a blockage since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is interesting because after he passed that, it went back to solid diarrhea. We did miralax and the diarrhea got so much worse. So you feel all the loose stool in past day is also constipation? My poor guy. Thanks for sharing.

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That solid poo with diarrhea is still constipation. To help with that I would suggest 1/8th tsp of miralax in his wet food twice a day. That's what I have my kitty on and so far he hasn't had a blockage since.

Also, it alternates from dark brown to very gold. Dark brown is the solid, gold is the loose, so weird different color?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its hard since he has other issues too. How much miralax was used? What kind of food does he eat?

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its hard since he has other issues too. How much miralax was used? What kind of food does he eat?
Not too much miralax, just sprinkled into dry as he won't eat much wet and we didn't want to overdo it because of the diarrhea issue lasted a couple days before back to hard stool now back to diarrhea, ugg :(

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has he had a blood work up recently?
Yes, his recent labs were good. X ray looked fine less the bowel filled with diarrhea the other day. He's on the counter now, eating a mixture of food, but cried from the pan again and nothing came out. He is on a prescription diet specifically for constipation and he stopped eating it a while ago. I put him back on but he won't touch it even though mixed in with his favorite food.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, his recent labs were good. X ray looked fine less the bowel filled with diarrhea the other day. He's on the counter now, eating a mixture of food, but cried from the pan again and nothing came out. He is on a prescription diet specifically for constipation and he stopped eating it a while ago. I put him back on but he won't touch it even though mixed in with his favorite food.
Good news on the X-rays and lab work!
Did the vet mention the possibility of impacted or infected (painful) anal glands, or check them to see if they feel full or hard, sore, etc.?
We have a cat that gets constipated a lot and sometimes has diarrhea along with it, and 9 times out of 10 when this happens his anal glands are acting up and need expressed by the vet. I think that when this happens, pushing or straining is very painful which makes them hold it, making their chronic problems worse =(