Older kitten playing rough with younger kitten

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have an 8 month old orange Tabby named Pekoe. He weighs in at a hefty 11 pounds of pure muscle, he's NOT fat at all. We recently decided that we would like to keep our eyes open for a companion for him and found a very cute little 4-5 month old Torby. She was a rescue so unfortunately we don't know much about her past. She is an attention suck, she doesn't really care about Pekoe. They like playing but Pekoe gets REALLY rough with her. He's pounced on her a couple times and she pretty much collapses under his weight. So far all we've been doing is separating them when he gets like that. We've only had her home a short while. Does anybody have any tips ???

apnelson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you try gradually introducing them?

I'm still having the same problem to some extent, though in my case it seems more like Rodney not understanding that when Myri runs away or yowls, it means she doesn't want to wrestle around any more.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as Torby does not complain or cry out I would leave them alone. Playing rough sometimes looks scary but it's part of their survival training.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. The torby named Chai is doing ok. Pekoe is starting to play a little nicer now. When she does cry out we intervene and break them up for a little bit.