Older cat with skin problems

shade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I figured it couldn't hurt to ask while I'm here-

My oldest cat, Katy, is about fifteen now. In her older age she got into a habit of scratching her skin. She had this problem when she was younger and it was generally an allergic reaction to plastic or lamb. For the last couple of years it's just gotten really bad. She has sores on her back and tail and a VERY bad spot on the side of her face. I medicate her skin and stop her any time I see her scratch but it doesn't seem to help. I can't take her in to a vet, because, at her age I don't think she'd do so well with the shock of that. She's always hated change and in her old age she's just gotten more set in her ways. I've tried anything the vet would offer but still, no luck.

Katy doesn't seem to notice. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and acts no differently than she would otherwise. I know it can't be healthy though...not to mention that she's a white cat and the sores are VERY noticeable...Which means that I'm pretty much the only one who sits with her/pets her anymore. I thought about getting one of those scratch collars but I don't think she would handle that well and at fifteen I really don't want to annoy her.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what is she eating???

When was her last senior panel ??

when did she last see the vet..??

I would highly recomend a trip to the dr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what is she eating???

When was her last senior panel ??

when did she last see the vet..??

I would highly recomend a trip to the dr
I generally feed her Iams soft food because it's just easier on her teeth. I've tried different foods so I'm not so sure it's that.

The last time we took her to the vet, it did more harm than good. Some cats just aren't social. Katy is one of those cats that hides and spazzes if anyone comes into the house (I won't even get into what happens when a stranger tries to touch her >.>;; ). Last time they had to give her something to calm her down. I'm more than a little uneasy about taking her to the vet.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your hesitance to take her in, but she really should have a senior blood panel done.

Thyroid issues, which are common in older cats, can cause skin problems.