Older cat with nasopharyngeal polyps

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I have a 10 year-old cat, Whisper.  She started hiding in the closet a month ago and now wanting to come out much.  Then she started sneezing and really shaking her head.  Every since I got her 3.5 years ago from the pound, I have been struggling to find something to quell her chronic itchy ear problem to no avail.  My vet found out she has nasopharyngeal polyps in BOTH ears and they are against the ear drums.  He said that, because of her age and because she is FIV positive, surgery was NOT an option for her.  He said he had done this successfully many time -- on very young cats but would never offer it for an older cat like her with FIV.  She is a small cat but only weights 7.5 pounds now. So he has her on Synotic drops every other day and stressed to me that this was NOT a cure.

Has anyone encountered this kind of situation?  Those polyps enter in through both sides of the throat so that's why she has had so much trouble eating.  This is killing me.  She's the sweetest cat in the world and the rest of her seems to be healthy --- but she's got his inoperatable condition now.  What quality of life is it for her to live in the closet and sleep with her head up and to struggle to swallow her food?

I'm so distressed I cannot make this better for her.  Anyone else have an 'older cat' in this situation?  How did it go for them?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello Everyone,

I have a 10 year-old cat, Whisper.  She started hiding in the closet a month ago and now wanting to come out much.  Then she started sneezing and really shaking her head.  Every since I got her 3.5 years ago from the pound, I have been struggling to find something to quell her chronic itchy ear problem to no avail.  My vet found out she has nasopharyngeal polyps in BOTH ears and they are against the ear drums.  He said that, because of her age and because she is FIV positive, surgery was NOT an option for her.  He said he had done this successfully many time -- on very young cats but would never offer it for an older cat like her with FIV.  She is a small cat but only weights 7.5 pounds now. So he has her on Synotic drops every other day and stressed to me that this was NOT a cure.

Has anyone encountered this kind of situation?  Those polyps enter in through both sides of the throat so that's why she has had so much trouble eating.  This is killing me.  She's the sweetest cat in the world and the rest of her seems to be healthy --- but she's got his inoperatable condition now.  What quality of life is it for her to live in the closet and sleep with her head up and to struggle to swallow her food?

I'm so distressed I cannot make this better for her.  Anyone else have an 'older cat' in this situation?  How did it go for them?
I personally don't have experience with polyps but there was an article written a couple of months ago.  

I'll look for the article and thread for you.

Poor girl, we'll find some answers for you.  The members of TCS are terrific.

Hang in there...  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for trying to find that article for me.  I sure appreciate all the information I can get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again!  That thread is perfect!  The poster is in the same situation as I am with her 10 year old cat.  I couldn't find that myself so I am so grateful to you for finding it for me!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you again!  That thread is perfect!  The poster is in the same situation as I am with her 10 year old cat.  I couldn't find that myself so I am so grateful to you for finding it for me!
Great, I'm glad it helped.

You know if the thread isn't locked, you can post your questions and concerns and you may get more responses.  Then you can refer them back to this thread if they need additional information on your kitty.

Keep us posted...  best to you.