Older Cat With Liver Disease

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mdmaroon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the results of the ultrasound examination.

The report is quite lengthly and I'm typing on an iPad, so I will only type the conclusion.

"There is a relatively large mass lesion occupying the left side of the liver as described. Consideration could be given to both benign etiologies such as a very large cavitated hepatoma or a more aggressive process such as hepatocellular carcinoma. The latter is considered more likely and fine needle aspiration or biopsy could be considered to further evaluate. There is mild thickening of small intestinal walls and these changes are most likely inflammatory in nature. There is a segment of colon wall that is abnormal however it does maintain architectural layering. A focal inflammatory process/stricture or an early neoplastic process must be considered. There are mild to moderate chronic renal changes as described."

Basically, they're saying he probably has a form of liver cancer. Removing the affected lobe of his liver would be a very major operation. Due to his age, recovery is not a certainty, so the vet was not recommending surgery for this. The best option is probably just to keep him comfortable as long as his quality of life is good. When he stops eating and his health takes a turn for the worse, the reason will be fairly clear and that will be the time to make a humane decision for him, instead of trying to treat an unknown problem. For that reason, I think it was worth doing the ultrasound.

Thank you all for your earlier responses.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your kitty has succumbed to this, but I want to thank you so much for sharing your story.  I am sure it will be a help to me when my older cat reaches a similar point in her life, and we have to decide if we want to go through the diagnostics to find out WHAT is ailing my cat.

Sounds like kitty had a great life with a caring companion with many happy times to remember.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mdmaroon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry your kitty has succumbed to this, but I want to thank you so much for sharing your story.  I am sure it will be a help to me when my older cat reaches a similar point in her life, and we have to decide if we want to go through the diagnostics to find out WHAT is ailing my cat.

Sounds like kitty had a great life with a caring companion with many happy times to remember.
He's still alive! Hard to say how fast this will progress, but at least from the ultrasound I know what is wrong, and most importantly know what treatments not to bother with. Things like milk thistle, Zentonil, and all that sort of stuff isn't going to do anything for him, so now I don't have to torment him with more pills. That is worth knowing.

Hopefully he can survive with this condition for a while. He still acts pretty normal.

Last edited:

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's still alive! Hard to say how fast this will progress, but at least from the ultrasound I know what is wrong, and most importantly know what treatments not to bother with. Things like milk thistle, Zentonil, and all that sort of stuff isn't going to do anything for him, so now I don't have to torment him with more pills. That is worth knowing.

Hopefully he can survive with this condition for a while. He still acts pretty normal.
Oh I know...sorry to sound morbid!  There was a period when Boo was just not doing well at all - but switching her food really changed her (dry to canned).  Her appetite was gone, throwing up, etc... The vet even said "The C Word".  So we had this period where we were mulling over whether we should go through the ultrasound, etc...to see if anything was up - at 12 yrs old, its reasonable to suspect a disease.  But we will not put her through invasive treatment should/when that day comes - so then you ask yourself "why do the diagnostics?".  But following your posts has helped me - I can sense there is some "closure" or at least a bit of peace of mind that you know.   Or maybe not - I could be reading things into your posts that are not there.

Anyhow, your story was very helpful to me.  Thanks again.

njc7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi mdmaroon,

My cat Ruffles' last bloodwork in June showed that her ALT value was 448 and her AST value was 240. Her ALP was normal (26) with normal range being 6-112.

I wanted to know if only the ALT value was high for Clyde or were all values (ALT, AST and ALP) high? I would truly appreciate it, since I am worried about Ruffles.

Hope to hear back from you!