Older cat ran into the door jamb

catmommy65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So here I am once again asking all you cat gurus for some advice. Today my older male cat was running oit of the room and ran into the door jamb. I notices his nose by his mouth is a little swelled up and he meows like it hurts if I touch it and it's a little warm. I checked his pupil reactions for a concussion was fine. I did put ice on it. I'm just worried as he is my baby. I wasn't home when it happened I noticed it was swelled and my dh told me what happened. Does this require a vet visit u think I noticed he is moves his head weird now like maybe shooting pain ?...he ate is drinking and resting fine atm.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ouch, poor guy. 

Totally get the worried mom feeling when our furbabies hurt themselves. It sounds like he may have bruising and the normal headache one might expect with a head injury. The question of the vet is purely a personal choice unless he starts showing other signs like vomiting, confusion, refusing to eat, etc. 

Personally, given that he is older, that it made noticeable swelling and the head movement I would go ahead and take him in at the next available appointment. Just to make sure he didn't damage any teeth and see if you could get a pain killer while he heals up.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmommy65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ty!!! He looks better today actually I called the vet and he said if he had no blood in his eye and since he was eating good drinkin good to watch if any changes bring him in. I did put some ice on it on and off and he is moving around good jumping and stuff. Just scary because he is my baby. Thank you so much for responding. My family thinks I'm crazy obsessive over him lol

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad your vet was willing to give you advice by phone, some don't.

Right there with you, I fully embrace my crazy cat lady status. My family knows I baby my cats. This was my sisters tounge in cheek Christmas present.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmommy65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awwww how cute!!!! Yes I have had the same vet for 18 years he is pretty good to us. His nose looks better tonight. He is upstairs and not hiding in the bathroom in his bed so that made me feel better. He is 16 yrs old I worry about him lol.