Older Cat Poops On Rug After Younger Male Chases Her

cataleena1010

Mom of 2 fur babies
Kitten
Purraise
I need help! My 15 year old cat poops on the carpet after my 2 year old male chases her. He is territorial and aggressive. Jealous as well. I feel bad because I don’t know how to stop her from pooping on my carpet. I thought it was just her being old but have caught onto her doing this after Otto chases her. Any suggestions please!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First thing, you need to start playing with your younger cat HARD, using a wand-type toy, and you need to do this several times a day. Wear him out. Play until he is lying on the floor panting. That will get some of that energy out. You can also try using the toy to distract him when he looks as if he is getting interested in your older cat. Poor thing, I feel for her.

Now, how many litter boxes do you have? There should be at least three. The rule of thumb on this is, 1 box per cat, plus one. That keeps them from guarding resources. And the litter boxes should be far apart enough that your younger cat can't chase her away from one while standing guard over a group of boxes together.

Does your older cat have anywhere that she can go to escape the attentions of the younger cat? A cat tree can work wonders. Make sure that you have given her escape routes in your home...try to arrange things to cut down on places that she can be trapped by the younger boy.

Finally, the articles below all have information that applies to your situation! I hope they help.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats