Older cat not playing nice with new kitten

sleepzombie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I just today got a brand new kitten, she's about 8 weeks old so 2 months or so. We have an older cat, a male who is about a year old give or take, who is to be her new big brother.

Now big brother Bug has just recently been neutered last month (not sure if this could have anything to do with it). When he met little sister Zim he was actually more leery of her than she was of him. She'd go right up to him and he'd end up jumping away. This was while they were closed up together in our bedroom.

Now we've let them both out into the house and he's starting to be a bit more rough with her. He's getting a paw over her and trying to bite underneath at her belly. He'll roll over onto his back so he's going at her upside down and try and grab her. He's not de-clawed but we do a good job of trimming him very carefully.

Little Zim had a sister before we took her as well as her mother to play with. Will she be able to hold up against her new big brother?

He was an only cat before, and didn't really like strangers to begin with. He's WAY better with this new little Invader than he is with humans but I still worry.

Thanks for any input you all can give me! I've never had two cats before, much less tried to introduce an older one to a younger one!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new family member!

The postures you are describing from the 1 year old are normal play antics. Sounds like he is thrilled to have a play mate!

Because he may not realize his own strength in comparison to hers don't leave them alone together, keep them separate when you can't be there to supervise for a few more weeks, is my advice.

I have three adult cats all used to playing very roughly with one another. I brought in a tiny 8 week old kitten last August. All three cats were incredibly gentle with her during play. They still are in fact, even though she's getting rougher, they are still being careful of her, as she is still tiny at almost 11 months.

So let them play when you can supervise, but keep them separate when you can't.

Keep us posted, and we love pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sleepzombie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Waaaa! Thank you guys so much for your comments! I had already tentatively let him continue his advances with her. At first he was alarmingly rough but as time went on began to realize (it seemed) and started being very, very gentle with her. I am so THRILLED that Bug is happy!

It's a little funny, actually. Zim, the kitten, is all tuckered out from her long day and Bug, the 1 year old, STILL wants to get her to play. Going so far as to jump up and try and nudge her. He's even giving her little licks from time to time.

I'm so relieved to hear that it's normal play antics they're going at and not hostility on Bug's part!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 8 weeks Zim's still just a little baby and needs a lot of rest. Wait until she hits four months and becomes a perpetual motion machine for the next 8 months.

Be sure to get her in to the vet to be tested for diseases and start her shots, if you haven't already.

How wonderful that Bug has realized Zim needs special handling!