Older cat licking kitten?

kurdis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat, Scruffles is oddly obsessed with licking his younger brother, Atreyu. However, this isn't in the traditional grooming sense as from a distance it almost looks like they're fighting. He'll usually pin his younger brother down, concerned, I take a closer look only to see him licking him. Why is he doing this?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Atreyu reacting to Scruffles pinning him and grooming him? This could be away Scruffles is teaching Atreyu boundaries. If the grooming is not causing any problems then I would leave them be.

When my oldest cat Starbuck was a baby her big brother used to pin her to the floor when she was being a brat. This was his method of teaching her that chomping on his head was not an acceptable way to play. Once she calmed down I would often see him grooming her:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kurdis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is Atreyu reacting to Scruffles pinning him and grooming him? This could be away Scruffles is teaching Atreyu boundaries. If the grooming is not causing any problems then I would leave them be.

When my oldest cat Starbuck was a baby her big brother used to pin her to the floor when she was being a brat. This was his method of teaching her that chomping on his head was not an acceptable way to play. Once she calmed down I would often see him grooming her:
This actually makes so much sense. Atreyu generally harasses Scruffles a lot. Sometimes he'll just be minding his own business watching nature or sleeping only to have Atreyu jump on his head, biting and nibbling him.