Older cat keeps attacking younger cat

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats Asher and Jack. Both are males. We've had Asher for 5 years. He was an only cat until last summer when we found Jack and brought him home. Jack was about 8 weeks old when we found him. We kept them separate and did the slow intro thing. Asher wasn't happy about another cat in his home for a long time but he eventually accepted Jack. They play a lot but Asher also attacks Jack a lot. Jack doesn't usually fight back. He'll either run away (and Asher tears off after him at full speed) or he'll roll over on his back and swipe at Asher if Asher makes a move at him. Asher pins Jack to the floor and bites him, and sometime kicks him with his back legs. I feel so bad for Jack and I always break it up but it doesn't always work. Asher will "hunt" Jack and do it over and over again. If Jack so much as looks at Asher wrong he attacks. Jack is usually just an innocent party in all of this, but I have seen Jack start it before. Anyway, I get really tired of yelling and clapping doing anything I can do break up this behavior. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop it? Also, does anyone know what this behavior means? Is Asher trying to hurt Jack?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This sounds like two of my boys. The younger one hunts the older one down but they start wrestling each other. When it gets to much for my older one he runs away and Toby runs after him, its more play then anything else, but it looks like they mean business.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Asher just doesn't give up even when Jack has had enough. He keeps attacking and chasing him down. Asher is a big cat (16 lbs) and Jack is quite a bit smallr (10lbs). I just worry that Asher is going to really hurt Jack, although that hasn't happened yet (crossing fingers) so maybe it is just play.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, believe me, the one boy of mine that runs away from Toby is an older cat he's about 10 years old. Toby is a very young boy and strong, he doesn't know his own strength sometimes. So far there hasn't been any real problems. I just watch them and make sure they're alright.