Older Cat Camps Out In Weird Locations

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guy is 17 years old and he’s always been somewhat of character. For the past year, he’s developed this habit of “camping out” in strange locations; the most current one being on top of the trash can in the kitchen. He’s there 24/7 except to hop down for meals or to use the litter box. It’s a small steel trash can and when he sleeps, his butt hangs off the side. He falls off and yet goes right back to it. I’ve put some pads around the trash can to cushion his fall so he doesn’t hurt himself. He’ll stay in the same location for weeks and then relocate. I was unloading the dishwasher and he’s currently camped out on the open door. I’m afraid that he’s relocated once again and this is his new spot. My kitchen isn’t big enough for me to keep the dishwasher open for the next month!
Has anyone else ever experienced this with their cat?? Why does he forsake the soft cat beds, couch or even the floor for such an uncomfortable hangout??

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is just a mystery, but common. But you don’t necessarily have to go along with their new favorite sleeping spot. Keep the dishwasher shut, take the top of the trash can if need be. He will find a new favorite place and won’t hold it against you. The risk being of course that the new spot will be even less convenient. I currently have my girl taking up a full shelf in the linen closet as her secret sleeping/hiding spot. I know she will move on eventually and I really need the space but I just don’t have the heart to kick her out.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's preferring cool metal surfaces maybe? Maybe you can put something similar to that (a cheap baking sheet?) in a convenient location and see if he goes for it. Maybe he likes the cool feel of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I let him have the dishwasher for a few days - I put a folded towel under him so he would have a softer surface. He seemed happier than while he was on the trash can (not falling off probably helped him feel more secure — silly boy!)
He has since moved again...to the top of the cat carrier by my front door. (It’s my neighbor’s and I borrowed it to transport a larger cat.) Looks like I might be hanging onto it for a while!
Interesting point about cold/metal/ plastic surfaces. I just assumed he would prefer a nice cushy surface.
But then, I’m not a cat!
Thanks for the replies!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are just weird about the places they sleep. My girl has a lovely double decker big cat bed. The upper level has a memory foam base and is right up against a window so she can watch critters while lying down. The lower had a thick pad and butts up against the heat register, perfect for Minnesota long winters. But where does she sleep? Next to this bed on a thin rug next to the cold door. Hard floors, no view, cold door. Go figure.