Older Cat And New Kitten Behavior

catmom34

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I don’t know if I have an issue or not. I’ve had my older female cat for 10 months now and she is almost 1 year this month. About 3 weeks ago my boyfriend found a kitten on the side of the road in the bushes he’s only approximately 1 month old. We kept him in the other room so the older cat would get used to him. But the problem is she consistently growls at him. She’s been doing it ever since he showed up. Recently we moved him into the main room with her. She still growls when she can but it looks like she’s playing with him when we let him out. Meaning she doesn’t hit or bite him at all. But she does have her paw raised sometimes. Keep in mind the spontaneous growling!! Most the time they they take turns chasing each other around though. Is this normal?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats may hiss, growl or slap at a strange cat. But it sounds like they are doing fine and the chasing one another sounds like play. As long as she isn’t trying to bite or fight with the kitten I would ignore the growls.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

How old is the kitten now? Are you still bottle feeding it? Or is it eating food now? Also has it been to the vet yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom34

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

How old is the kitten now? Are you still bottle feeding it? Or is it eating food now? Also has it been to the vet yet?
He’s about almost 2 months now I would say. We gave him formula with some soft kitten food and he seemed to be eating it without promblems. I’ve just transitioned him to water. And we haven’t taken him to the vet yet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has your older cat been spayed yet? If not, hormones could affect her behaviour with the kitten.

Also, I would suggest having the kitten vet checked, just to ensure he doesn't have any disease that your older cat could catch. Also, he probably needs to be dewormed.

About introductions, I'll post the links to the TCS cat introduction articles, though it's probably a bit different with such a young kitten. And sometimes the behaviour might seem too rough, when it's in fact the older cat teaching the kitten manners. But probably keep an eye on them when they're together, and don't leave them alone without supervision till the kitten is older.

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom34

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has your older cat been spayed yet? If not, hormones could affect her behaviour with the kitten.

Also, I would suggest having the kitten vet checked, just to ensure he doesn't have any disease that your older cat could catch. Also, he probably needs to be dewormed.

About introductions, I'll post the links to the TCS cat introduction articles, though it's probably a bit different with such a young kitten. And sometimes the behaviour might seem too rough, when it's in fact the older cat teaching the kitten manners. But probably keep an eye on them when they're together, and don't leave them alone without supervision till the kitten is older.

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
Yes she’s been spayed. I’ll try to take him as soon as I can. And ok thank you I’ll read those.