Older Brother Stealing Younger Siblings?!

Kaia123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK so my cat been getting busy in the last year. She has had 2 different litters of kittens back to back. I decided to keep one kitten from the previous litter and named him Mikey aka Michael. He is very energetic. He runs all over the house, hangs from the shower curtain, and so much more. My Cat (His mother) had her new litter 3 weeks ago and he had found a new weird thing to do. Mikey has been taking the kittens all over the house. I don't understand why. Does he believe they are here for him to play with or something else ?

I'm also wondering how can I calm him down as well... even though its pretty funny seeing him dangle from the shower curtains, sooner or later my pockets aren't to find it very funny.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully someone here can answer your question for sure. Looks like he thinks they’re his! As far as calming him down it’s hard because he is still a kitten. They have a lot of energy. You may want to get a few cat toys and play with him to get him tired.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Michael? How old is Mom? Is Michael neutered?

I would keep the kittens in one room & only let Michael in with supervision. Wee kittens get into EVERYTHING! Also you want to keep the kitten room warmer. I have have a neutered male cat mommy orphaned 2 week old kitten so male cats can be super sweet to kittens. Since mom doesn't seem to be bothered by his behavior I wouldn't stress to much. Sister-mom cats babysit each other's litters. That said he still needs to be snipped and once the kittens are weaned she needs to be spayed (6-8 weeks old is when most kittens are weaned.) They still need their mom until they are 12 weeks old. Their is a forum just for kitten rearing :)
Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care

About curtain climbing. In my experience most cats stop curtain climbing on their own by 5 or so months. I think it has to do with weight & gravity. Sticky tape works great to! :) If you are lucky you get kittens around Christmas time so you can see them climb a Christmas tree.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would recommend keeping mom and kittens in a separate room away from Mikey. He doesn't realize the kittens are not prey/toys, and he could hurt them.

How old is Mikey? If he's older than 6 months, and not yet neutered, he could mate with his mom and she could become pregnant again, even while she is still nursing.

Please consider having mom cat spayed, as well as any kittens you decide to keep.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?