Old Style Siamese question

amazalea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 19 yr. female, Old Style Siamese. Over the past couple of months, she has developed a peculiar breathing "problem." Basically, she sounds like she is having asthma attacks. I have had her to the vet. for the "problem" and have been told that she's in excellent health for her age, and there is nothing wrong with her. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience. [Also, I've been thinking about getting another Siamese soon and am particularily curious if this unusual breathing pattern is seen in the breed.]

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never seen this type of behavior in any of my cats so I am not certain it is a problem inherent to the breed. Has she been grooming more than usual lately? It almost sounds like she is trying to dislodge a hairball - Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

~gf~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amazalea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had been grooming more often, but I started brushing her more often and supplimenting hairball medication in with her food. This seemed to take care of the problem, and I haven't noticed her excessively grooming since.

Thanks for the information about your cats. It is reassuring to know that you haven't observed this in your cats. Like I said before, I would like to get another Siamese in the near future, and am glad that this is probably just a strange, isolated case. Thanks again.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once bitten by the Siamese bug, there's no turning back, is there? *grin*

Best of luck with your geezer girl ... I have a very soft spot in my heart for the oldies after taking care of three of them with various geriatric issues for nearly 8 years. Two of them were owner throw-aways when they got sick and it broke my heart to see how they grieved the loss of their beloved people. Siamese are such loyal cats and I commend you for taking such good care of your little girl.

Best of luck in your search (when the time comes) for a new little one,

~gf~