Old Male Cat - Strong Urine Smell - What Can Be Done?

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have an old feral cat that we rescued about 4 years ago. We know from talking to the neighbors that this cat, Fluffy, is about 17 - 19 years old. He has a hyper-thyroid condition as well, which he gets medication for daily. He has had kidney problems since we rescued him. He gets a senior vet checkup every 3 months. Our vet says has been saying has been in the beginning of kidney failure now for 3 years. Plus the medication for hyper-thyroid affects the kidneys. So it is a balancing act and the medication is adjusted accordingly. He gets plenty of wet food and normally drinks plenty of water throughout the day. We tried the special kidney cat food but he really did not like it. He is going for his next senior checkup in a few days. Thinking of getting a cat fountain to perhaps spur even more water intake. I was wondering if there is any new therapy for cats with kidney issues that our vet may not be aware of. Thanks in advance.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the water fountain i highly recommend it :) i have a few bowls and 3 different types of water fountains around the house. lol never too much water. a few of my cats LOVE the fountains!