OLD kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when i was a teenager i worked as a nurses aid in a nursing home and quit after a year because i found it so depressing that these elderly people had no visitors and mostly no family.
it didnt' occur to me til years later that the nurses and aids WERE their family and that is why they got so attached to us and looked forward to seeing us everyday.
i was only thinking of my sadness, and not of the happiness that i might be able to bring to these people.

i don't know what changed my point of view, maybe just getting older

but even now, i think of the workers at the shelters and i wonder, how can they do that job??? so many homeless kitties, so few homes, so many cats spending months in cages- i think i would go nuts, and want to bring them all home
but then i have to realize, that if it were not for the shelter these cats would be on the streets subject to disease, animal attacks, car accidents, etc etc
so, it isnt about what you CAN'T do, its about what you can do

it isnt easy to remember that! i still fear volunteering at the shelter because i know i will start to feel bad for kitties that are there for a long time
but if i can help make their stay a bit better, than i have done what i could
no one person can do it all, right?

i struggle with it all the time. it is hard. with BJ it was easy though, i fell in love with him the moment i saw him
i just like old guys i guess!
they are so needy, and i guess i am a person who needs to be needed
*shrug*
empty nest syndrome, LOL

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by catnapt
it is quite wise really, for a blind cat to walk slowly, so he doesnt'hurt himself when he runs into things (and when he first got here, he bumped into everthing, but ever so gentley cuz he is slow
My cat, Midnight, passed away 2 years ago at the age of 14 years. When she was 13, she developed glaucoma in both eyes and went completely blind as a result. Blind cats use their whiskers as feelers to avoid running into objects, they use their other senses more to make up for the lack of vision, and normally, they are also able to reley(sp?) on their memory of the layout of their home and how the furniture is arranged.

When Midnight was moving slowly and calmly she was able to find her way around without having any problems. If something happened to make her nervous or excited, she would start going in circles or running into objects.

IMO, I think your cat is really doing well, and it might be best that he does move slowly. He is very lucky to have you taking care of him in his old age.

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - you are truly amazing for BJ. The seniors are terrific and give without taking. I took in a very old stray a couple of years ago. Found him on the doorstep and decided that if he was still there in the morning that would be it, i would keep him and take him to the vet. The vet said that another night and he would be dead. He must of known. The other cats really did not like him at all and it was sheer courage and detrmination that he stuck it out with us. He was about 5 but looked ninety! A tough life by all accounts. He became very loving and special and i was heartbrokwn when after only 2 years he had a heart attack and died in the front room. It was quick and he could have alsorts wrong with him that we just did not know about. I would definately get a senior from a cat rescue as they are wonderful friends and no need to block up all the little holes in the house like with kitties!
well done and good luck
tulip