Old friends suddenly ignoring each other!

hellie ann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two thirteen-year-old cats are littermates, and have always been inseparable - sleeping together, grooming each other, cuddling. A few weeks ago, they stopped having contact with each other. There's no spatting going on, just ignoring. I've tried putting them together in their favorite napping places, with no luck. This has never happened before. Any insight?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
Hope we can help in any way!
I would look for any changes in their individual behavior, appetite, water intake, playing, litter use, sleep pattern, anything out of the normal. It could be possible that one is ill........Please keep in touch!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, thats what Im thinking too! When one gets sick, the other tends to stay away from them! And since they are sick they tend to ignore the other one too! So they will just avoid each other!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the above posts. Any changes in behavior - and this is a big one - can mean a kitty is ill. The next step should be to get the kitties to the vet for a check-up.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellie ann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input! There has been no change in behavior (other than the ignoring), eating, or sleeping patterns. I guess it could be a far deeper illness than what can be seen (I hope not), so I will take them to our vet after the holiday.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you're going to get them to the vet.

The only change in behavior our Tuxie exhibited when he was very ill was that we noticed he'd started turning his back to us when we entered a room. He was eating, drinking and playing like normal, so we didn't do anything. Then he started leaving the room when we entered. THEN we noticed he wasn't playing as much - we took him to the vet. Turns out he'd developed an autimmune disease. We almost lost him - and if we'd taken him right away, he wouldn't have needed the blood transfusion he did need to survive.

Laurie