old cats not accepting new cat

natusys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a stray 1 1/2 year old male,had him neutered,shots etc.We have 2 older cats,8 and 13 years.We have been doing all the introduction advice,it has been 2 months,and it is getting worse not better,we are also using felliway. Our 13 year old is very territorial,hates him,snorts,hisses,and attacks.and fights with him under the door.our 8 year old hides,now the two old cats started fighting too.My husband wants to give up and rehome him,through a shelter, maybe he is right.

I have never had this much of a problem introducing cats,I know how three cat night feels,as he charges at them too,and my 13 year old goes into a rage. ugh!!!!!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You probably won't believe me but I had the same problem with 2 females. They never became friends but learned to tolerate each other after more than a year. First few months, I let them settle their dispute among themselves which resulted to numerous veterinary visits to patch up the wounds from battle. I tried scent exchanges and rewards for good behavior and there were less fights. But what I think really helped was time out for the aggressor. Although, it could just be the time passed. Cats like harmony and maybe for my 2 girls they just had enough of fighting. 

Your oldest and youngest have a dominant streak. Two months (for me) is still a short time. Have you read the stickies on cat introduction? http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats  There are more good tips for you. 

Good luck!