Old cat tormenting new cat after three months since being brought home

uprc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've come here because my family and I are having some pretty big problems with our two cats. The first one, Norman, has been with us since... 2000 I think. Up until we brough home the new cat, Jack, Norman was a very nice cat. Heck, he was everyone's dream cat. Well behaved, affectionate (in his own little indirect way), and he loved to play, especially with me.
When brought Jack home in August, I will admit that we did not introduce Jack to Norman in the way that all the cat sites out there say we should have. Instead of putting Jack in a room for a week or two and all that, someone (I forget who) lowered Jack to the living room floor after we walked in the door.
Norman was there, and he looked very confused. I guess everyone figured that Norman would accept Jack pretty well because he's always been such a great little cat (well, big and fat cat since we had him fixed in January or February...), but I suppose some of you know how Norman reacted to Jack. He hissed and charged at him. I remember Jack ran and Norman decided to chase him, hissing as he did so. I knew that we were definitely doing things wrong, or at least not in the best way, but I also knew that I had next to no control over the situation so I just let everything play out.
Ever since the initial encounter, Jack has been free to roam the apartment. Norman remained hostile towards Jack for a little while. After he stopped, Jack constantly tried to play with Norman and this just caused Norman to grow hostile again.
Now, since then things have been pretty weird. I don't think anyone really knows what to do with the cats right now. Jack rarely ever tries to play with Norman (poucning, playfully swatting) because he knows that Norman will freak out on him. Just because Jack has pretty much stopped trying to play does not mean that Norman has calmed down though. Jack can be doing anything at all now.. Sleeping, walking around, eating treats, whatever. Norman will just randomly meow in an angry tone and attack him. He swats at him, hisses, tackles him, etc. Just today I noticed that Jack actually avoids Norman at times now, as if he is trying to limit his contact with him on his own or something...
I didn't mention something though. There are RARE times when both cats are laying close together, usually on the same bed only two or three feet apart, or we may see Norman grooming Jack (that is what it looks like, he licks Jack's head).
So.. Norman seems to tolerate him at times, letting Jack near him, but he usually attacks Jack. We usually clap or hands, make loud noises or something when Norman does this because we read that doing so will break up the fight. It doesn't always seem to work though..

On their own, both cats are very well behaved usually. Norman is usually found sleeping somewhere, and he'll let you pat him any way you want, something he never used to allow.. And just today, I heard him purr for the first time. Others say they have heard him purr before, but I know I haven't.

Jack has settled down a lot since we first got him. He was six months old when we brought him home, so he was a real hassle to take care of. He can still be difficult to handle at times since he likes to jump up on counters we don't want him on, but he seems to be starting to break that habit.
Jack is generally a pretty calm cat. He's without a doubt just as kind as Norman (.. used to be..) and enjoys playing from time to time.

I don't know if the problem lies in Norman's personality, or if it is because of how the two cats were introduced, but I would really appreciate it if anyone could give some advice.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that (given the less than ideal circumstances of the introduction of Jack and Norman) they are doing okay together. I know that their behavior is not ideal, but, believe it or not, it is still early in the introduction process, so there is plenty of time for them to work this out. Given that they can occasionally sleep near each other and that they can get close enough for Norman to occasionally groom Jack things aren't going too badly.

With that said, make sure Norman is treated like the king. He needs elevated perches to sit on. He needs to be greeted first and given his food first. By giving giving him this elevated status he will feel more secure and may be less likely to be aggressive with Jack. Also, make sure you praise and cuddle Jack when he is out and about. (You don't want him to go into hiding.)

When the two cats are in the same room and behaving well, give them treats or play with them both at the same time. Doing so will cause them to pair happy things (treats, play) with the other cat so that after repeated pairings the cats will think happy thoughts about the other cat instead of angry, intruder thoughts.

I hope all of this helps!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of the problem is probably that they are still working out who is the alpha cat (which is most likely Norman by the sounds of it)
I think i`d just leave them alone when they fight...unless you actually think they are going to draw blood. They more likely than not will work it out between them better if left to figure it out themselves.
Linda

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I agree with reassuring Norman that he is still Supreme Cat! Jack might enjoy a young companion to hang out with, esp. if you introduce the newcomer a little more slowly. I have a cat, Cindy, who wants to be the only cat - she was living alone at a rest area along the highway, and I guess that she wants only human companionship. I'm glad to see that you didn't just throw your hands up & place Jack elsewhere.