Old cat issues

Gazo76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our female cat Cassie is now 17years old.
In the past 6months she's developed balance problems and now prefers to be outside, having been an indoor cat for most of her life.
We have a small garden with fake grass and a soil 50cm-1m border all around this. She's decided to start going to the toilet on our fake grass rather than on the soil, which we can't seem to stop, so would apreciate any suggestions to help prevent this.
Also, when she does come in for the evening, she's started going to the toilet by the front door - her access to the outside world is at the rear of the house - and when she does manage to go in the litter try, usually after we've locked her in the kitchen overnight, she manages to stand in her business and is then obviously shaking her leg to get rid of it on her foot and the business is going everywhere, not to mention the paw prints as well. It's an enclosed litter try, so I'm wondering whether opening it up would make any difference, or could deteriorating eye sight as well as general old age balance problems be the bigger issue here?

Would be interested to hear from anyone who's had similar experiences.
Any thoughts or constructive advice appreciated.
Happy to answer any further questions.

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, wow, what an age! I've had two cats, one for 16,5 years, the other for 20 years, so I can share my experience.

The first one started having weaker kidneys a month after he passed away and had to go to the toilet more than usual. This was when he felt like our 3 toilets were not enough, so he had to pee elsewhere. It was not his fault, it simply had something to do with his instincts. He would not go to the same place twice, as it was against his personal hygiene, and I was not able to change the litter often enough. I tried my best though.

And regarding standing in one's business, I sometimes do that too! No, I am just kidding, but in case anybody reads this who's had anger issues in the past like me, please don't get angry at cats.

Anyway - have you watched her going and doing the deed? You might find out that she may be in pain and that there is a practical reason for it. Perhaps she does not want you to close her in the kitchen? My experience is that cats don't like closed doors - they make them afraid . Also, older cats like to be with the people they love and make them feel good.

There is of course a possibility that what is causing the disbalance and other things is an underlying condition. I've had my vet come over to my place to see the cat. It was better for me than taking him to the clinic. How is the situation looking there?

I wish Cassie health and happiness!

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Balance issues can be tied to many different health conditions - kidney disease, heart problems, and arthritis, to name the likely most common ones. When was she last seen by a vet for a full geriatric exam, including blood work (CBC, Chemistry panel, T4)? Is she on any medications currently?

Is she peeing and pooping outside the litter box, or just one or the other? When you said she shakes her leg, that would seem to be related to pee, unless her poop is overly soft.

Do you have any idea why she wants to be outside since her balance became an issue? Are there obstacles in the home that make it more difficult for her to maneuver around compared to outdoors? Did you set up a litter box outside as opposed to relying on her to realize the soil was where she was to do to her business? I would set up a litter box outdoors and see if she will revert back to using that instead of the fake grass. Of course, the fake grass needs to be thoroughly cleaned with enzymatic cleaners to get rid of any scent she has left behind as that can act as an invitation to go in those spots again and again.

What is at the front door that she goes on - a rug that might somewhat mimic the fake grass outside? How big is/are her litter boxes? I would make sure they are larger in size, uncovered, and not high sided ones - all of which should make it easier for her to use them appropriately. She really should have more than one box inside so that she has options available to her around the house. Given her age, she might have urgency issues that preclude her from getting to the litter box before she needs to go. That could also help to explain why she is more inclined to use a box when she is being confined to the kitchen.

I am asking more questions than I am making suggestions, as answers might be helpful in determining what other steps you may need to take.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gazo76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies both.

So we worked the garden poops out today,
She's standing on the soil, but her bum is out over the stone egde and she's depositing into the grass.
We are working on an outside litter tray, but we'll need to cover it at reasonable height somehow so she's got space and the most confortable she can be.

We read online the balance problems could suggest underlying issues, so we are closely monitoring it and will take a trip to the vets if things get worse.

Front door is nothing except our laminate flooring, no carpet, rug, matt, she just goes there!!!
it's funny because she always comes to tell us when she's been naughty with an early morning bedroom visit meowing her head off, "I'm sorry, I did it again!" lol.

Massive litter tray, so it's unual she struggles in there, even more so because she's such a tiny little cat.

Yes, soft stools which she's stood in, then shaken off in a rather unfortunate manner.
We've cleaned up and opened up the litter tray today and after two visits, just piddles so far, she seems more inwards than she was with the roof on and did seem to crouch a little, which we thought was a good sign. Again we'll monitor as best we can, but will do our utmost to ensure she's as comfortable as possible.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We read online the balance problems could suggest underlying issues, so we are closely monitoring it and will take a trip to the vets if things get worse.
When was she last seen by a vet for a full geriatric exam, including blood work (CBC, Chemistry panel, T4)? Is she on any medications currently?
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I noticed you didn't reply to the above quote regarding a geriatric or senior exam. You mentioned you would monitor Cassie and take a trip to the vet if things get worse but perhaps she should be seen sooner rather than later to avoid any future health issues and prevent new ones before they start. Since she is 17 years old she definitely warrants a senior exam which differs from an annual vet visit. TCS has an excellent Article about what to expect as your cat ages and might have some very helpful information for you: What To Expect As Your Cat Ages - TheCatSite

Best of luck and please keep us updated on her progress. :crossfingers:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
17 is quite elderly for a cat. My older girl went through bouts of incontinence in her later years, and she suffered from arthritis too which meant climbing in and out of her litter box was difficult for her. I'd definitely recommend a full senior cat health exam.

Fake grass is practically impossible to get the smell of urine out of, even if you soak it in enzyme cleaner. It might be easier to just throw away the patch of grass and but another piece. Once the smell of pee is on it she'll think that's the place she's supposed to go

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd like to add that I've thrown away loads of stuff because of what Norachan Norachan described. The smell would not go away in some cases and the item had to be thrown away. But, that does not mean that buying a new item will result with that item being intact. So, if anyone reads this that has similar experience, please be patient, careful and loving. They are not doing it on purpose to destroy things, they've just gone elderly the same way we all will.