Okocat Litter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 09.51.55 pm.png

I know there are opinions on this litter but a lot of them are old, so I figured I’d input my share and maybe see if anyone changed their mind.

I’ve been trying to find a non-clay litter and - honestly - the only reason I bought okocat was because there was a $5 off coupon on the box (okay and the reviews).

My cats don’t care if I switch litters on them as long as I try only one box and make sure they all like it. So 1/5 of the boxes got Okocat Super Soft. It’s only been about a half an hour so no opinions from the kids yet, but here is my first judgement out of the box.

What I liked:

Pleasant out-of-the-box smell
HALF a 16.7 pound box filled a 27 Gal tote

What I didn't like:

As I was pouring it into the box, particles immediately were in my nose and throat - still are honestly

The negative is a big for me. I know of course nothing is dust free but this just seems to..stick. What's it going to be like for the cats?

Thoughts? Other litter I might like? I have five 27-32 Gal totes (only one tote still has a sticker on it) that need filled. Can't use corn because I have one cat who will eat it...even if there is stuff in it. The only non-corn I've tried was Littermaid's Walnut. Was okay, but it would have taken ten bags to fill the totes.

Last edited:

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Oko for a while, but gave it up after I decided the cons outweighed the pros. The soft step type that you have in the photo above is basically like sawdust. There is a type sold in a blue-banded box (as opposed to the pink) that has larger pieces and isn't as dusty.

Pros:
  • It's very convenient that it is flushable.
  • Natural smell
  • Lightweight
  • For declawed cats (which mine aren't) they make a softer version which is what you have
Cons:
  • It is dusty
  • It clings to cat feet and tracks EVERYWHERE
  • It absorbs the humidity and smells stronger in humid summer weather
  • It doesn't clump very well
Unfortunately I've never found a natural cat litter that I liked. The closest I've come to acceptable is the pine pellets, which aren't bad when they are new but dissolve into sawdust and then track. The best I've found from a human perspective is the crystal litter. Would your cats use that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used Oko for a while, but gave it up after I decided the cons outweighed the pros. The soft step type that you have in the photo above is basically like sawdust. There is a type sold in a blue-banded box (as opposed to the pink) that has larger pieces and isn't as dusty.

Pros:
  • It's very convenient that it is flushable.
  • Natural smell
  • Lightweight
  • For declawed cats (which mine aren't) they make a softer version which is what you have
Cons:
  • It is dusty
  • It clings to cat feet and tracks EVERYWHERE
  • It absorbs the humidity and smells stronger in humid summer weather
  • It doesn't clump very well
Unfortunately I've never found a natural cat litter that I liked. The closest I've come to acceptable is the pine pellets, which aren't bad when they are new but dissolve into sawdust and then track. The best I've found from a human perspective is the crystal litter. Would your cats use that?
Don’t believe I have gotten to any yet. I just recently started experimenting.

Had tidy cats - used all besides the recent unscented: okay, but so dusty and hated the smells (both before and after being used). Switched to A&H clump and seal: really liked, but it seemed like I was going through sooo much of it. Had to switch to a cheap local store brand for a bit. I’m now using Dr. Elsey’s multicat unscented: like the odor block for the most part, but it turn to hard to scrape clay with urine - especially along the walls, where the girls mostly pee at.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used (or rather, the girls used :)) a couple of boxes of Okocat Super Soft. I didn’t have the problem with the particles that you saw, but what I’ve seen with all litters I’ve tried is that there’s variation from bag to bag. I’ve been using Smart Cat clumping grass litter for a year, and this most recent bag is the first one that’s had a lot of tiny particles. I may not have continued with it if this was the first bag I’d tried. Based on my experience, though, it’s unusual. Maybe it was the last one they filled from the bottom of the barrel!

Before switching to Smart Cat, I was buying Dr. Elsey’s Ultra and thought it worked well. I would occasionally get a dustier bag, but it generally wasn’t too bad, and it clumped well. I just got tired of lugging home 40-pound bags, and I wanted something more friendly to the environment.

A 20-pound bag of Smart Cat lasts six weeks for us. I have three cats and three boxes. Someone in another thread said s/he didn’t like it because it smelled like oatmeal after the cat peed. After I read that, I did kind of notice it, but it doesn’t bother me. There are worse things! You do have to wait 15 or 20 minutes for the urine clump to “set” before you scoop it.