Okay....thank you everyone....but I give up.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently learned something interesting here...you can click on "Cat Forums" then go to the bottom of the page, and click on "View Forum Leaders". That will show you the moderators, advisors and mentors. You can PM them - especially the advisors - if you're getting conflicting info.

It's so hard, I know - some people go to vets that give them information that is clearly outdated, and some people have vets that are right up there with the new stuff. Hope to see you around the forums!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I find absolutely nothing wrong with using Advantage on cats, and have done so in the past even for older cats with health issues. It is perfectly safe when purchased from a trusted vet and used as directed - it will effectively manage a flea problem. Once you get the situation under control, you have more room to research other methods, but to address the current infestation, Advantage is a safe, effective method - you can feel confident using it.

I will tell you that I am not a vet, nor do I claim to be any sort of expert on the topic. I do have 40+ years of caring for cats, with 10 of those years caring for geriatric cats with various health issues and the past 4 years breeding pedigreed Siamese cats. I have used and like Advantage many times when it was necessary and so long as it is both purchased from and used as directed by your trusted vet, there should be no problem.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Advantage. Sebastian has severe reaction to fleas: one flea bite and he starts going bald and is miserable. The baby, Daphne, doesn't like fleas either but doesn't seem to be allergic. Fleas LOVE me though. I think they like me as much as they like the cats.

I use Advantage on them, Sebastian keeps his hair, they aren't miserable and I don't get bitten. Neither cat has had a bad reaction to the Advantage.

My mom had two young cats once, sisters, who reacted badly to Advantage so she used another type on those two. Have never personally known another cat to have issues with it.

Oh, Seb is 11 years old and Daphne is almost 5 months old.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have never had any adverse reaction to Advantage either. I've used it on Jaffa since he was a kitten (he's 10 now) and never any problems. No fleas either.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bath all my fosters , dogs and cat's, with Dawn - the original blue. I don't think it kills the fleas but it weighs them down so they drown. I also know that just plain vacuuming daily kills fleas. The Borax apparently helps but the cyclonic action of the vacuum cleaner kills them.

I too was hesitant about taking advice but realized almost all the advice I got here was repeated by experts elsewhere. Thank you for helping these kitties.