Okay, got one Kitten from the animal shelter...

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got him yesterday. Three months old and my wife wants to name him Mylo. Very affectionate and follows us everywhere in the house. He sometimes does not hear us upstairs and starts meowing really loud. As soon as we call though, he comes running up the steps like a bolt of lightning!

Only issue I'm slightly concerned with is that he sneezes quite often. We have a voucher for a Rabies Shot and I will ask them to give him whatever he needs to get better. He's had all three of his vaccinations already, Feline HIV test (negative), neutered, and micro-chipped. 

We are going back to the shelter tomorrow (Saturday) to get a female cat that is the same age as him. She was not able to be released yet due to an eye infection and was still undergoing treatment for it. They said she should be ready as of Saturday afternoon.

Pics of the female (Mia) as soon as they're available.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just keep an eye on him he may be getting an upper respiratory infection. Besides sneezing you will see runny nose and watery eyes, he may or may not want food. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an adorable little guy! Bless you for giving two of these sweet babies a loving home, they will repay you in love and happiness for many years! It is not uncommon at all for young kittens to have upper respiratory infections and eye infections, especially when in a shelter. it makes it's rounds around the feral population too. Most of them are caused by the herpes virus, (No, not the same one we humans get, but in the same family.) What I have found to help is L-Lysine to build up the immunity system, most vets recommend it highly and though it is palliative, it does help to shorten the course, especially when started early.  I get mine as treats on Amazon. Since it is a virus (a kitty cold) antibiotics will not work, unless it changes into something bacterial, like bronchitis, so just be observant and bring him in if he gets listless, or stops eating and drinking. It doesn't hurt to give it, and you can stop once symptoms subside. Remember kittens are VERY ambitious, be ready for twin tornadoes to tear through your home and hearts, but just like toddlers, it will pass as they get older. Remember to 'toddler' proof your home, hide cords of all kinds, elec. and blinds,and things that can be pulled over. Watch for houseplants that can be poisonous and cleaning products or medicines left out, they are very curious about everything!  Two is good, they have someone to play with, that helps tremendously. All the luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome. Thank you for the replies!

I had no idea that kittens (or even CATS) can take L-Lysine. I will order some as soon as I'm done typing here and I'll try to find them as treats. He is very lovable and energetic, as most kittens are. 

There are very few dangerous cords that he can reach, other than standard computer wires and a phone cord or two. Cleaning supplies are always stored away and leak-free, and my wife knows which house plants to & not to buy. God knows I don't buy plants for in the house, so there's no worry about me getting the wrong thing! Meds are always stored in the medicine cabinet which is always closed.

We're in pretty good shape, but I'm still having a hard time getting used to a new kitty. My other two cats are still fresh in my memory, and for me, I'm finding it difficult  to start over again without comparing. I'm trying my best not to, though. 

I thought the wife would have been a bit more reluctant during the first couple of days, but he quickly found his way into her heart. She cannot stop talking about him now and the two of us are amazed on how quickly he's bonded to us. We cannot even take a picture of him because he keeps jumping up in our laps and starts kneading and purring. 

I donated all of the remaining cat food that we had to the shelter yesterday, so I had to go buy a small bag of Kitten (dry) food and a can of Tuna Fancy Feast yesterday afternoon. I'm heading out today to stock up on wet food for kittens and some new toys. 

Again, thank you for the kind comments and useful information!  

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I want to offer my condolences on the the loss of your two cats. They will always be in your heart and memory but it's ok to open your heart to little Mylo and Mia. You've taken that first step in opening your home to them. Your heart will follow in its own time.

Awww...Mylo is so adorable! I can't wait to see Mia when she gets home. Mylo looks full of energy and mischief and he will be happy to have Mia home with him. Thank you for giving them a lovely forever home. I hope they bring you much joy and happiness [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...And introducing, Mia!

Just picked her up this morning from the animal shelter. She is also 4 months old and their b-days are 8 days apart. Didn't take her long to bond with Mylo, but she's still a bit skittish with my wife and I. Can't blame her from being at the shelter and having tons of people tapping on the glass. I feel bad for the other animals there and could only hope that they too will find a good home, just like the two that I now have. 

Anyhow, it's a bit difficult to get a photo of her because the two keep playing and chasing each-other all over the house. I put wet food down for each of them and they haven't stopped to even eat yet. They just run past the bowls and tackle one another. Lots of room here for them to run and they love going outside to play in our screened-in patio (lenai). 

marc_5947

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats are doing very well and it's difficult to get a photo of them when they're together. They love chasing each-other around the house and getting into things that kittens always... well... get into. Very playful and they make me laugh every day.

I don't know what a "purraise" is, but I thank all who have given them to me. I know it must be something good