Okay, cat litter enthusiasts!!

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am geeking out right now. I cat sat for a friend over the weekend and she uses pine pellets, as do I, for cat litter.

(If you don't use pine pellets, there are many benefits including: 1. eco friendly, unlike clay, 2. saving plastic unlike clay buckets or handled containers *cough tidycats cough* 3. ZERO dust which means it's safer to breathe for you and your cats when you scoop or when they dig) 

So I've been buying equisicat 25lb for like $12 at PetSmart. BUT WAIT. That's a waste of money! It turns out that you can buy equine pine pellet bedding at tractor supply 40lb for $5.99 and it's the EXACT SAME THING! Link below. This is what my friend has been getting, and as someone who scooped it today, I assure you they are indeed the same thing haha

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/equine-fresh-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

Just my over excited money saving find of the day and it's such a good deal that the whole world of cat owners should know about this option!

The end.

:D

monkeymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats currently use Dr. Elsey precious cat. How easy was it to transition your cat to pine pellets?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I switched them cold turkey from clay, just because I was out and the pine was on sale and they didn't have any problems! I wouldn't suggest switching cold turkey normally though. Ideally it would be like changing foods- 75/25 old/new, 50/50 old/new, 25/75 old/new etc over a couple weeks. 

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
new to this all. What about the odor? I don't want the entire wing knowing when Comet "does his doody"

But for that cost, I might try it. Where can I buy it at? Petsmart? WalMart? No Tractor Supply in my area. Fleet Farm maybe?

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

new to this all. What about the odor? I don't want the entire wing knowing when Comet "does his doody"

But for that cost, I might try it. Where can I buy it at? Petsmart? WalMart? 
There are other members here who use this as well and I think that most of them buy it from Tractor Supply Company. 

I'm leery of it because like you, I'm concerned about odor control and I don't want big wet clumps of it sticking to the box. If it's good at controlling odors and clumps well without making a mess at the bottom of the box, I might try it. There's a TCS close to work. You can't beat that price. 

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

But for that cost, I might try it. Where can I buy it at? Petsmart? WalMart? 
There are other members here who use this as well and I think that most of them buy it from Tractor Supply Company. 

I'm leery of it because like you, I'm concerned about odor control and I don't want big wet clumps of it sticking to the box. If it's good at controlling odors and clumps well without making a mess at the bottom of the box, I might try it. There's a TCS close to work. You can't beat that price. 
No Tractor Supply Stores around here. I might check Fleet Farm....they sell farm supplies. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not like pine pellets. The smell is off-putting (for me), plus I'm somewhat allergic to pine. And the cats don't like the texture. I DO like the corncob pellets also sold at TSC. It's a bit more expensive than the pine pellets---$8.99 for 40 pounds, but it's lighter than pine so you get more volume, so it kind of evens out. I don't mind the smell of it (sort of corn-y but not obnoxiously so) and the pellets are softer and smaller so the cats like it better too. Plus I'm not allergic to it :D.

Just another option to consider! It's in a white bag that says "BestCob Premium Horse Bedding".

For those who have never used a cellulose-based litter, it turns to sawdust when wet so you'll need a solid scoop (not slotted like regular litter scoops. A small sturdy dustpan or cooking spoon will work) to scoop out all the wet stuff. It doesn't really clump. It sticks a little bit to the box but not sticky cement-y like wet clay. It's OK at odor control as long as the cat buries everything but clay is best at that. You make a small sacrifice to use something biodegradable.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yeah, no doubt it is not a clumping litter- like @Willowy  said it disintegrates when wet. I think it does a good job with odor control- I scoop every other day though, and also maybe it just depends on the individual nose haha. I liked the corncob litter but when I tried world's best cat litter, in addition to the price being unreasonable I didn't have much luck for odor control :/ It'd be worth a shot though $8.99/40lb is still a great deal haha. Mine didn't have any problem with the pellets, but since some cats are finicky I can see where the corn cob would be a better option :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah, no doubt it is not a clumping litter- like @Willowy  said it disintegrates when wet. I think it does a good job with odor control- I scoop every other day though, and also maybe it just depends on the individual nose haha. I liked the corncob litter but when I tried world's best cat litter, in addition to the price being unreasonable I didn't have much luck for odor control :/ It'd be worth a shot though $8.99/40lb is still a great deal haha. Mine didn't have any problem with the pellets, but since some cats are finicky I can see where the corn cob would be a better option :)
I scoop once a day. I have 3 cats and 5 boxes so they never really get too "full". The girls have 3 boxes in one room for the 2 of them and they like to use all of them but there's never really a lot in any of them. Henry has 2 in his room so it's the same for him. He doesn't use their boxes and they don't use his. I guess they all came to an agreement. 

I used to use the World's Best also and fell the same way about it that you do. The odor control was almost nonexistent and it's very expensive. I wouldn't buy it again.