ok now i am mad

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad! He did something wrong and was caught--it just happened to be your sandwich that he got caught stealing! If he stole a sandwich and obviously didn't feel guilty about that (r/t watching the video surveillance), then who's to say that he wasn't the one stealing money?!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

it would keep my away also.

any the bad news is they fired the guy, it seems someone had also been reporting money being taken out of the candy dish(like in neet post) . So even if he did not do the money it made him look bad getting caught stealing food.

now i do feel bad, i did not want someone to lose a job,
I would kinda feel bad too, I wouldn't want anyone to lose his job either

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My step-brother was good for that at home!!! When he was in college his roomates kicked him out of their apartment because he would eat stuff and not replace it. He was always cheap. I used to take him to work and I'd make him give me gas money. It was no $ no ride to work!

If you want to make this chick mad, mess with her food. Just ask DH! I get all bent out of shape when he starts just asking for some of my whatever because a bite to him is like 5 bites to me! I guard my food!

Our other office had problems with people taking food because are in a building that shares with other offices. A whole lot of other places actually. They eventually caught the person. It turned out it was a client who came to the building regularly for services. I believe he was mentally ill and had just gotten out of prison, but the man wasn't starving. The dude had to come down like from the 10th floor to the basement to steal food from there...that's how determined he was.

Honestly, I'm glad they terminated the guy for it. If you don't tollerate it, others will take more caution before considering doing that themselves. Maybe anyway!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

it would keep my away also.

any the bad news is they fired the guy, it seems someone had also been reporting money being taken out of the candy dish(like in neet post) . So even if he did not do the money it made him look bad getting caught stealing food.

now i do feel bad, i did not want someone to lose a job,
If he didn't want to lose his job, he shouldn't have been stealing from his place of employment. You have nothing to do with that. You aren't responsible for reporting a voluntary action. His choice had a consequence. Plus, hopefully now your sandwiches will be safe.

I work as a nanny and my employers have told me to buy foods for myself when I grocery shop for them and to eat with the kids if I want to, join them for dinner, etc. But, I don't really like to eat at work because I feel like I'm taking advantage. I usually eat leftovers if anything, because they would otherwise go to waste (I cook the kids a fresh meal every day). If I'm there for a long time, I will eat a bit of food with the kids to hold me over, but I have dinner at home with bf. If I take the kids out to eat, I either order something cheap or just sit with them. Their parents would have no issues if I bought and cooked for myself while I'm there during the day, but I don't feel good about it. I guess it's just not how I was raised......

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure you weren't looking to get anyone fired, Bruce, but the fact of the matter is that he stole -- not only that, he stole something that was clearly marked with your name, and therefore could not be mistaken as "help yourself". Putting the partially eaten sandwich back is a slap in the face, too. Those are the things he could be expected to know. For that attitude alone he should at least face discipline, and if there was other stealing going on, it's no wonder he was suspected.

But on top of all of that, his action could have been responsible for a medical emergency, with nobody around to come to your aid. For that he should lose his job. "How was I supposed to know?" doesn't cut it, since he shouldn't have had sticky fingers to start with.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't feel badly about this.

The guy was stealing, no matter what it was that he was taking, he was stealing. As was already said, what he took from you had your name on it and couldn't have been accidently mistaken as left overs from an office party or something. And the fact about putting it back after taking bites out of it? Disgusting.

If he had a medical need for the food, I could understand. But I would have also expected him to leave a note, and to NOT put a 1/2 chewed on sandwich back in the fridge like nothing happened.

Usually when people get caught taking something, it's not a first offense. Chances are he was stealing other things but hadn't been caught red handed doing it. Petty theft is alive and well in the work place, and unless there are consequences to such actions, things like that will continue.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce, you really don't need to feel bad about this -- but I completely understand why you do, and it says something good about you.

The good thing is that it probably won't be hard for the fellow to find another maintenance job, and if he learned from this experience, he'll be able to keep it this time. Don't beat yourself up too much.